Question : will garuda ever support secure boot?

I'm on windows 10 right now but want to switch to garuda dragonized. The gaming version.

But secure boot is not able to be turned off with my laptop. The bios doesn't support it. I've tried every option to turn it off and nothing worked. Can anyone please help me with this? Is there any way of signing the OS myself that's not too hard? I'm new to linux so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit : Thank you all for the support. I was able to disable secure boot using ZorinOS. Opened a terminal and used : sudo mokutil --disable-validation. Again thank you all for all the help. It's my first time in this community and i already feel at home. I wish you all a wonderful day/night and i hope this post can help others too. Now i can finally say goodbye to windows.

1 Like

Does the live ISO start?
Search the Arch wiki for your hardware.
We are not psychics, without info no one can help you.

Edit: Sometimes you must remove some M$ key codes before disable secure boot (IIRC) :smiley:

3 Likes

had this problem long ago on a laptop, and managed to disable secure boot with mokutil.
I still have this in my bookmarks:
https://wiki.debian.org/SecureBoot#Disabling.2Fre-enabling_Secure_Boot
Edit: in my case I was already on a working Linux distribution. I don't know if this utility is available in a bootable live ISO (of any distro)

6 Likes

I can't speak officially for the Garuda devs, however I can state that this happening in the future is highly unlikely. The distro's position is that dual booting with Windows is unsupported.

Very few devices are actually hard coded in the bios to prevent disabling secure boot. Although, some do obfuscate how to do that quite well. You may need to enable the administrative password before you can disable secure boot.

It is possible to sign your own secure boot keys. However, this is far from a trivial matter.

Good luck disabling secure boot.

7 Likes

The live ISO doesn't start. Idk much about computers besides windows so i apologize for that. But here's a summary of my specs. I don't know if it'll help but here you go.
If there's anything else i can do or more info i can provide please tell me.

Here's a summary of my specs :
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i3 7100U @ 2.40GHz 53 °C
Kaby Lake-U/Y 14nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1063MHz (15-15-15-35)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X405UA (U3E1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 620 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
119GB SanDisk SD8SN8U128G1002 (SATA (SSD)) 50 °C
57GB Hitachi HEMA_64G HEMA_64GB USB Device (USB )
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected

Again, search your hardware model in arch wiki

Machine:
  Type: Convertible System: LENOVO product: 82BG v: Yoga 9 14ITL5
    serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 31 v: Yoga 9 14ITL5 serial: <filter>
  Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: SDK0J40709WIN
3 Likes

I've browsed through it. But i don't know how i can install mokutil. I'm pretty sure it's only on linux distro's

Your bios will have a advanced mode search for the key combination to enter it

2 Likes

I see the Ubuntu live ISO does include mokutil preinstalled. So, you could flash it on a USB and use it for the utility.
Only for that purpose, uh? :wink:

5 Likes

I had the ZorinOS ISO file still on my ventoy usb. Using zorin i was able to disable secure boot. Thank you so much for all the help. I really appreciate it

2 Likes

Just hit the heart(s) :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.