Proton games high gpu usage

Yes, I’m now stuck on tty without internet connection for some reason trying to get the Nvidia driver working

EDIT:Apparently internet is working, it is only Pacman which is not able to synchronize the db

1 Like

Pls gimme a minute.
I gonna dig into it on the net. There must be a solution.

BRB

So you can ping www.google.com ?
If not try 8.8.8.8 instead.

Just fixed refreshing mirrors manually now the only problem is that Nvidia dkms module is failing to build

1 Like

@DreamingCodes It appears to be a known issue with some nVidia GPUs in ArchLinux.
The open source driver nouveau needs to be blacklisted. Since it appears that it got loaded although the proprietary driver is installed. So far to your initial problem.

• So, it is the build error I assumed?
  • Can you recall the error message?

UPDATE:
You might try to boot with the LTS Kernel, which is also shipped with Garuda (you might remember the option from the Garuda Assistant). And try building it with the LTS Kernel. Failing to build the DKMs was, according to the reports on the AUR DKMS package, based on conflicts with the kernel config. Hence try to boot with the LTS and then try to get the DKMs running.

For how to blacklist the open source nVidia driver: How to blacklist nouveau driver

I solved it by removing the zen kernel and mainline and installing xanmod-kernel instead.
I also blocked the nouveau drivers and tried a game, but the problem persists.

1 Like

Now the problem seems to exist not only with proton videogames. I just tried a recording with obs with nothing open and the GPU reaches 50%.

1 Like
1 Like

Thx for the update. :+1:t2:

Ok, we've checked:

• MoBo BIOS (up to date - check :heavy_check_mark:)
  • GPU Driver (propietary - check :heavy_check_mark:)
  • GPU Clock behavior (>1500MHz check :heavy_check_mark:)

What could be left? :thinking:
Now you're running the proprietary driver OBS should be able to gobble up the data via HW support. But would you agree on narrowing down to OBS? How are the games running without OBS recording it? Now with the proprietary driver?

Just watched your vid. There is a discrepancy of over 20% between the monitoring tools.
Try to check with: watch nvidia-smi to be sure.

UPDATE:
It can't be plausible to have 50% of a 1070 eaten up by just stream recording. I suspect the HW acceleration isn't activated. Just found that HW acceleration for OBS for nVidia

The problem is not obs. I just tried https://jspaint.app, and while drawing random lines, the GPU was going to 40% usage dropping to 0%/10% as soon as I stopped drawing.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the update.

Gonna dig further. :thinking:

nvidia-smi gives the same value as the system monitor

1 Like

THX for that update.

Does the usage jump while moving windows as well?

It seems that anything that updates something on the screen is causing GPU problems. Moving the mouse also increases GPU usage to 30%

1 Like

No, composition effects don’t make the GPU load jump.

1 Like

Only if above certain windows

Moving the mouse does but moving the windows doesn’t? :thinking:
Yeah I had the compositor in suspicion. Just found a thread about a familiar issue with a 1070. With reports like you had. And it was based on a problematic modset.

Only if above certain windows

That makes it even more weird… which windows as example? And which don’t have the issue with an example, please.

Above chrome when I'm on a site that draws the pointer across a canvas (like jspaint).
When I hover the mouse over something that needs to change when I hover it on steam and Spotify.
However, this doesn't seem to happen in qt apps.

The problem occurs on anything that uses hardware acceleration and needs to update something on the screen.

1 Like

Also watching a video with chrome or switching between tabs have a high impact on GPU usage.

1 Like

Thanks for your updates!

And I suspect games are still slow, although the dkms is installed?