Problem with update of fresh install

Hello. I just did a fresh install on an older pc (12gb ram i3 and 1tb hard drive). On the first boot I agreed to run the set-up assistant. At the end of the process, it asks if I want to remove setup-assistant and no matter what I answer it returns me to the Garuda welcome screen. I've tried several times with the same result. I then tried running setup-assistant from the command line and I get this message: target not found: alacritty-ligatures-git. When I tried removing alacritty-ligatures-git using add/remove software, I get the same message. When I try to update the software from add/remove software, it says my system is up-to-date. Can someone suggest a fix?

Alacritty-ligatures-git was preinstalled in older isos, Im still trying to understand where exactly this package comes from if its a fresh iso? :eyes:
Output of pacman -Qs alacritty ?

I just installed Alacritty and after running for many minutes and installing several files, alacritty-ligatures-git was removed , so now only Alacritty remains. I restarted twice and ran the setup-assistant again from the command line. Part way through the process I got this error message:
Created log file at "/tmp/Alacritty-10302.log"
[2021-04-03 15:56:20.862277468] [ERROR] [alacritty] Alacritty encountered an unrecoverable error:
There was an error initializing the shaders: Failed compiling shader: 0:1(10): error: GLSL 3.30 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, and 1.00 ES

Output of pacman -Qs alacritty:
local/alacritty 0.7.2-1
A cross-platform, GPU-accelerated terminal emulator

Thanks for responding. I hope you can help me.

I'm downloading another copy of the iso right now from Fosshost. If I can't figure this out, I'll try reinstalling (either by burning to a usb or a dvd).

I just re-installed Garuda from an image I downloaded this afternoon. Still having the same update issue (see above), however now when I attempt to update from the command line, I see multiple errors before I get a message saying no software was updated. Not crazy about the new browser, so when I get this thing working, I'll switch back to Librewolf. If anyone out there has had issues running setup-assistant immediately after install—and can suggest a fix—please let me know. Thanks so much! I appreciate this community.

I don’t, logs required.

5 Likes

I'm still struggling to (fully) install Garuda KDE Dr460nized from a bootable usb. The initial install seems to work fine. After rebooting, I'm encouraged to run the setup assistant. I navigate through the many screens of setup assistant. The last screen asks if I want to remove setup assistant. I've tried answering both yes and no, but in either case, I'm returned to the Garuda Welcome screen and no upgrades run.

I just tried running system upgrades from Add/Remove Software. Many upgrades were listed so I ran them all. After waiting for the upgrades to run I got a corrupt package message. I searched the forums and found a reference to updating the keyring. I ran the suggested command in the command line. The upgrades ran and completed this time, and requested a reboot. After restarting the computer, I tried running setup assistant again from Garuda Welcome. Again, after many screens, the final screen asked if I'd like to remove setup assistant. I chose no and was immediately returned to the Garuda Welcome app. No software was installed.

I'm new to linux and garuda, and I can't find a way to display system logs so I can share them here. I do hope someone can help. I've successfully installed Garuda KDE Dr460nized on three other machines this week without a problem. All machines have i3 cpus and onboard graphics. All have 12gb of ram and at least 500gb hard drives.

Just found a log viewer. Hope this helps:

pulseaudio
GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

systemd-tmpfile
GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

There's also some security stuff that I can't copy, starting with kwin_xkbcommon:
And content in an "Other" category starting with host0: followed by sata.rules and failed to write ATTR

Thanks for any suggestions you may have :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thats interesting as the setup assistant first asks to install the applications and prompt for removal afterwards :thinking:
What you can do is launching setup-assistant from the terminal, it might give some output which helps identifying the issue :thinking:

Edit: I just noticed a few kernel choices were not in repo anymore as they couldnt be kept updated with current ressources, an update was pushed which removes those currently unavailable options - maybe this solves your issue.

4 Likes

Sorry to take so long getting back to the forum. I just downloaded a fresh copy of the Garuda KDE Dr460nized iso and made a new bootable installer. Reinstalled the OS to my PC. The initial install went fine, but when I tried the setup-assistant, it behaved the same way (see above) and asked if I wanted to remove the setup-assistant and then closed and returned me to Garuda Welcome without installing anything.

I opened Konsole and ran setup assistant from there and got the following messages:

** (yad:24189): WARNING **: 22:11:42.862: Unable to connect to dbus: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=fe7fbb620adf4e10942620c9ee0cc511 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

(yad:24189): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 22:11:42.919: g_dbus_connection_register_object: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(yad:24189): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 22:11:42.919: g_dbus_connection_register_object: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(yad:24189): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 22:11:42.919: g_dbus_connection_get_unique_name: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

Created log file at "/tmp/Alacritty-26642.log"
[2021-04-05 22:14:33.504223261] [ERROR] [alacritty] Alacritty encountered an unrecoverable error:

There was an error initializing the shaders: Failed compiling shader: 0:1(10): error: GLSL 3.30 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, and 1.00 ES

Created log file at "/tmp/Alacritty-27745.log"
[2021-04-05 22:15:43.685763194] [ERROR] [alacritty] Alacritty encountered an unrecoverable error:

So... still no luck running setup-assistant. Has anyone else experienced this? Can you suggest a fix or a work-around?

I do appreciate this community and I hope someone has a solution. :slight_smile:

Please tell us exactly which ISO you downloaded. I just re-installed Dr460nized this early A.M from ~239 and install, the wizards, and everything worked as-designed.

I notice ~406 has just been put up on SourceForge, so you might try it.

5 Likes

Thanks! Downloading it now and I'll give it a try. The version I tried installing yesterday was dated late March. I download it yesterday as a torrent. Fingers crossed.

Please, when someone asks for specific information, provide it, “…dated last March” is not.

Long troubleshooting threads are invariably due to the lack of it. :frowning:

5 Likes

This is the answer already, your graphics card does not seem to meet the requirements listed at the download page :eyes:

3 Likes

In other words, there is no fix for this. Your hardware is inadequate to run Garuda. If you can't upgrade your graphics card then you will need to use another distro than Garuda.

Garuda is intended for modern hardware.

2 Likes

Unfortunately this issue source is alacritty. There is an open bug/issue report here.

Reports say it affects old Intel HW even if they are strong (OpenGL, HW acceleration related).

Maybe you may try for a workaround, changing compositor settings, HW acceleration or other.
If your machine has dual CPU (with Nvidia), try using Nvidia.

3 Likes

Thanks so much! I have a different video card... I'll try it this evening. I thought I'd never find the answer. Thanks again.

1 Like

Just installed a different graphics card and everything is working perfectly. Thanks again for the help!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.