Planning how to proceed - asking the community

Cloud services are relatively inexpensive as web servers can host a lot of users/traffic with relatively little CPU/RAM. At a larger scale it gets a bit more complicated (e.g. do you scale vertically or horizontally?) but GarudaCloud is still a long way from those concerns yet. The actual utility is limited to the users who sign up.

In comparison, a build host needs as much CPU/RAM as you can throw at it so it's much more expensive. However, the number of users who benefit is much larger (i.e. the tens of thousands of people using ChaoticAUR).

6 Likes

One thing is for sure, there are a lot of well-supported distros out there vying for attention. I know, like many of you, I've tried a slew of them. But here's the thing, It's been a couple of weeks now since I've installed Garuda on my test mule Inspiron laptop. And unlike so many other transient experiences, especially with Ubuntu-based distros, Garuda on Arch remains. Nothing, has motivated me to load something else. That itself is unusual.

What you've created here has convinced me that Linux can be a daily driver that works...and Garuda appears to work. Even the drivers for my old Lexmark printer were found, installed and was up and running without incantations entered into the terminal. I fought with OpenSuse for ages and gave up with that device. The teams at LinuxMint and Zorin, who I admire greatly couldn't provide the seamless integration for my legacy hardware that Garauda on Arch does.

Expanding the pre-compiled applications on Chaotic-AUR is a must. And perhaps see if you can work with Guillaume Benoit to improve the presentation of the apps in Pamac.

You have the right idea, especially with Garuda KDE Dr460nized, but with so many distros out there, you'll have to stay ahead of the others to keep the community growing and engaged, and the income to make this an ongoing effort.

I'm in. You've done great work.

10 Likes

If you need processing power I could provide some. I recently ordered a Dell Poweredge T440 and a fiber 1000/1000 Mbit connection. It is located in Denmark in my house. PM me if I could help in any way. I am willing to make Garuda Linux reach it's goals :hugs:

16 Likes

I notice you guys have an open collective account, I just started supporting manjaro arm and will definitely set up a monthly contribution once you set it up

8 Likes

I'd definitely drop $20 on a sweet Garuda keyring :wink: but if merch is out I'll gladly donate for such a great distro.

4 Likes

Mmm - a Garuda Eagle head logo ‘beer access device’ would be nice here!

Integrated ring-pull aid one end and bottle opening beak?

5 Likes

^this guy gets it

4 Likes

A Garuda tattoo on the bald head. Oh wait ...

2 Likes

I know a person with bald head, on which tattoo will look perfect

.... err , I forgot the name of owner of distrotube

3 Likes

And you'd be happy to pay him the tattoo, right?

3 Likes

A nice, chromed (placcy), Garuda car badge - ooooh, shiny! (to match the chrome dome I have)

2 Likes

Instead of a star, a Garuda on the hood!

3 Likes

At the moment there is still a slightly inflated balloon hanging on it.
It rotates so nicely in the wind :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I will even pay him the fare to go to tattoo shop + Tattoo costs, if he will get Garuda tattoo on his head and makes dedicated video for it

:laughing:

3 Likes

Not to the tattoo studio, but to my home. The bamboo tool is carved quickly :grin:

2 Likes

I would pay to watch that :grinning:

3 Likes

Distrotube guy is not bald !!! Don't force me to search the clip where he explicitly says that :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

BTW I hope You guys find a good way to finance...

2 Likes

he already made a video about Garuda, but this would be even cooler, lol.

4 Likes

Derek Taylor would love that :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Finally put my money where my mouth is, $50 monthly contribution on opencollective

9 Likes