Phones and custom ROMs

I recall when magisk 1st came out and I tried the beta and soft bricked my phone and went right back to twrp. I quit rooting and unlocking phones before it got better. It sounds really good now.

Yeah magisk was definitely a bit buggy at first but it's become so good now that I don't actually know how someone could brick their phone installing magisk even if they tried haha. I remember before magisk supersu was pretty good but I really enjoy magisk. Got a few modules here and there for enhancing some features and better audio quality as well passing safetynet no issue. No reason for me not to root other than not being able to get incremental updates of course but I prefer it to OEM software. If Google does anything right then it's their stock aosp and pixel software imo.

1 Like

KNOX killed it for me and how they started just locking bootloaders down so hard and not letting anyone root certain phones. Nothing was being harmed, we just wanted stock phones and no fucking bloat.

Yeah man like that was a hard decision for me to make. Knox or bloat. Ended up tripping Knox and making a few of my own custom ROMs. Holydragon was my favourite I made but my god it was a pain in the ass to work with the source code due to thing's like hardcoded kernels. Anyway I don't plan on buying a Samsung again haha. Probably gonna go Pixel next as their software is basically like a custom ROM in that it's enhanced aosp.

Also when LG just stopped making good phones. I loved the phones they were making. This is making really want stock AOSP.

LG is an interesting situation. Like they keep making new phones but with different concepts that feel like gimmicks in a way even though some of the phones were genuinely good. I think they just didn't go the right direction of continuity and having a clear direction consistency of what their phone's and lineups will look like. Like if I buy one phone then I'd want my next one from them to be the same type of phone and not completely different which may cause me to change brand. Definitely like LG though, currently have an LG CX TV but no more phones from them

This is a good watch btw if you're curious why LG failed in the smartphone market.

Oh I love his channel. HTC, Nokia, sony, and LG they all messed up.

+1 for Swift Backup, love being able to do automated Backups to Nextcloud at night!
Talking about flashing Samsung roms, I bricked an S10 once by writing an image that was supposed to go to the sdcard to the wrong partition once. No recovery possible. But there was also a time where I could recover a Redmi K20 Pro from a soft brick by opening it up and entering EDL mode by shorting two pins. Good times :joy: now happily using a Pixel 6 with ProtonAOSP, Magisk and Lsposed. The only thing missing here is an actual recovery like TWRP. Roms can only be flashed via fastboot here - which isn't an issue luckily :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A big part of why they messed up I think is due to the marketing strategy and lack thereof. Shame really as companies like LG really had some innovative phones like the Flex although kinda a gimmick. I think they leaned too much into gimmicks instead of a good release cycle of good quality phone's and their focus was too divided.

1 Like

It really sounds like I need a pixel 6 so I can get my fix for a rooted phone and a well supported rom.

1 Like

LG's commercials were so deluded. They made no sense. While others just did no marketing at all. While Samsung had a commercial every damn hour.

Haha I hear ya. Honestly I didn't realise that nextcloud was supported on Swift but I also hadn't bothered checking it either so that's something I'm gonna have to look at scheduling now! And yeah twrp is the one thing missing but I don't need it or really care for it anymore if I'm being honest. Has no benefit to me and just causes issues with encryption I feel. I definitely want to get a Pixel like you said so maybe the Pixel 7 or something. My phone is like 3 years old now I think. How is lsposed? Worth using? All I hear is that it causes problem after problem haha. That's to be expected with xposed though but not certain on lsposed or rsposed.

1 Like

I have an S10 now and it's a well made phone. Just have the snapdragon super locked down FU we won't let you unlock it version. I looked and looked for a method to unlock it. Once the market was saturated with so many phones less were making consistent roms and looking for ways to unlock bootloaders. I recall being on XDA everyday looking for things to try.

I was always anti Google, the main reason to get it was actually GrapheneOS back then. After not even 30 minutes using it I realized rootless life isn’t for me :sweat_smile: but
properly supported ProtonAOSP made it very worth after all, especially since it uses the sandboxed Gplay services of GrapheneOS.

For me? Very much. There is a module called AOSP settings which pretty much enhances the ROM by adding alot of features which usually need custom roms, eg. Statusbar tweaks :slight_smile: it also allows adding face unlock via a module. Guess it depends on what your use case is after all :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.