New desktop build, need some suggestions/help

Ok, I’ve been reading up on btrfs on arch, and I’m finding some conflicting info…some sources indicate that btrfs device add with different storage capacities limits to the lowest common storage capacity denominator, whereas others are showing that the full storage capacity will be used when rebalanced after the device is added. Can anyone confirm?

Additionally, when running the btrfs device add command, you have to specify both the /dev/sdX path and then a mount point like /mnt or whatever you define. For example:
btrfs device add /dev/sdb1 /mnt and then run the rebalance command. However, doesn’t this effectively silo the storage capacity to the/mnt path only? Or does it somehow expand the volume to include the original system storage device’s capacity and the new storage device capacity into one continuous volume, regardless of the mount point specified in the btrfs device add command?

:confused:

Edit: Found this:

I believe this is a similar use-case for me…in that I have 3 drives with very different performance characteristics. Is it possible to keep the ssd as the system btrfs, then combine the two hdds as one btrfs volume that I can mount in fstab?

@dalto would you happen to know if this would work? Primary btrfs on SSD on clean install, then somehow combine the 2 HDDs as another “single” btrfs volume? Not sure I’m asking the right question, but trying to conceptualize the idea of sdd as one volume, and the 2 hdds as another single volume (a la raid 0 or lvm) but with 2 btrfs volumes instead?