Moving from Windows to Garuda | Discussion area

OMFG, you just discovered RMS, didn't you. (hold yer beer, boys, he's going in deep)

Sorry c00ter :slight_smile:

I change the title :wink:

First post was
https://forum.garudalinux.org/t/moving-from-windows-to-garuda-mythbusting/7010/6

2 Likes

Blame @dr460nf1r3 - he made the intro with a RMS vid. And yes, it has had a profound effect. :blush:

Dive!...dive!

2 Likes

Yeah, RMS and my morning coffee have the same effect. :wink:

EDIT: Don't, just please don't get into the various licensing schemes. Please. :wink:

3 Likes

I'm not entirely sure what the point of the section on dual-booting is, here. It works perfectly fine without much configuration, Calamares will have it set up in grub without issue. While it would be ideal to eventually stop using Windows, that's ultimately someone's personal choice. It would be easier to say that the Windows part of dual-booting tends to be what messes up and to link resources on dual-booting in order to fix those issues - they're often rather simple so long you've got a Windows USB ready to go. For most people new to Linux, I'd argue it's much less risky than going whole hog on a distro like Garuda that can be rendered functionally inoperable to someone that isn't already reasonably versed in the terminal (ie knows enough to navigate folders, edit files with nano micro, and run timeshift), as Windows will tend to work in at least basic capacity, especially if it remains untouched for a long time just sitting on a spare partition. It's much better to have a known working setup ready to go on another partition for when you need to get an assignment done or use a tool that only has a Windows version (ie if you rooted your phone) than to find out you need something working now and you're stuck on Garuda and don't know how to get it working.

Over time, certainly someone will get to a point where their Windows partition is more for show than anything, but I don't think it's good to suggest people coming in from Windows to abandon dual-booting in the belief that it's "unsupported."

1 Like

Ha, that made me smile :smiley: Lets spread the word! :partying_face:

2 Likes

True on all account. Especially about "It's only for games" and "How do I learn Linux?". I feel like a zombie this whole times when I use Windows. I feel restrained. Most I do when using Windows is feel like choosing between "Yes" & "No" only. Changing into Linux wholefully is really wake me up :smiley:

Thanks to Garuda Team for saving me :beers:

2 Likes

The point is so much of the (dare I say) nonsense support is about dual booting problems. That's why the section about not supporting dual boot.
Technically speaking, it's probably NOT about Garuda specifically..it's about stupid things people do (and how they set things up) more than anything. I know I've had my share over the years, though thankfully I no longer panic if I do something that causes that ;0
Oh and hey, what happened to the top post? It's gone? That's no fair!

2 Likes

I change the title :wink:

https://forum.garudalinux.org/t/moving-from-windows-to-garuda-mythbusting/7010/6

here you go :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I see your points, @Helmic and though I may agree with a lot, I will not go against the wiki as, I think, it will turn the forum into a dual OS forum and that would not fly with most here and me most definitely.

Imagine how many users would be asking for help on Windows - in a Linux forum!

I thank you for your thoughts and criticism - it is, as all is, very welcome and I have edited the offending part, to clarify 'unsupported', accordingly. My post was intended for those, like me, who have decided for good or ill to ditch Windows, perhaps I could have made it clearer.

If you have any further suggestions, please let me know. :slightly_smiling_face: I'll try to incorporate good ideas from any member.

1 Like

Still holding onto a 300gb Windows partition in my 512gb computer, waiting for the day where I'll need Windows.

1 Like

I personally find Windows abhorant. Many user unfortunately must use this system for work, school etc. However, that is not recommended by Garuda.

If they choose to complicate their Garuda install by Multi-booting it's the users responsibility to know what they are doing and how to setup and maintain a system that is installed in a non-standard way.

The help wanted requests from newbies installing a dual boot with Windows is a support black hole. This is simply not Garuda's responsibility to support, plain and simple.

I feel for those who are forced to use Windows because of work etc, but in the end this is not Garuda issue. If users choose to go down this road they should be prepared to do their research first and learn how to fix their own system when multi-booting breaks it.

Personally I would be more than happy to see Calamares disabled for any dual boot with Windows. We are not here to provide Windows support, which is what inevitably this turns into when hapless Windows users break their systems by insisting on using Windows + Garuda together.

4 Likes

I switched from Mint to Garuda, in dual boot with Windows.
Then I discovered other interesting Arch-based distros that ran out of space on the hard drive. So I left Windows on the small hard disk and installed Garuda (2 DEs) and two other Arch distros on the large disk.
If I boot my laptop, all 5 systems are available in the Garuda boot menu and I see no reason to eliminate Windows, except that I no longer use it. But what you have, you have ...

5 Likes

I have never claimed competent users can't manage multiple OS's on the same computer. Where this falls down is the average Windows user installing Garuda as a dual boot is Linux illiterate.

Pretending dual booting is problem free is simply doing a disservice to those inexperiend users who in many cases end up borking their system and possibly losing their data in the process.

As in most cases on the forum, experienced Linux users do not predominate the help requests. It is new users that have the most issues and are the most cause for concern, as data loss is a real possibility for the inexperienced users attempting this.

IMO it is simply best to tell these users to look before they leap, and if you take a tumble from your rashness don't expect support from the distro for your self inflicted injuries.

4 Likes

I can only imagine the result of saying other than I did - it would have made a Don Rickles roast look like kittens at play :rofl:

1 Like

You know (at risk of causing problems..hey that's me), I am so tempted to get tbg's mailing address and mail him a thumb drive with the Windows 10 installer on it. The ultimate virus? :slightly_frowning_face: Hee, the thought just amuses me.

4 Likes

Dicing with certain death there...a long, slow, agonizing one. I'm dumb, but not that dumb.

Think Law Abiding Citizen with @tbg as 'Clyde'. :rofl:

1 Like

Why do you think I live on a small island with no internet connection, and no social media accounts. :rofl:

6 Likes

Me too - it's called U.K. :rofl:

5 Likes

Ya but you're connected to Europe now by the Chunnel. Not exactly the isolation of old. Or is the Chunnel fully restricted these days with Covid.

4 Likes

From reports, the French half of the Operating Franchise is about to collapse, financially - due to the Covid-induced restrictions on use.

I'm a little Englander so I can't wait :grin:

3 Likes