Mini Review and Issues

Garuda is an awesome Distro. But from my personal experience with latest release it still needs time to mature. Devs are on the right track. Due to some issues some of which are out of devs hands I can't see myself using it as a daily driver, yet.. But in due time I do. I love the theming and packages it has included OOB.

Here's a list of issues... Fresh out of the box post-install...

• Setting all my NTFS Drives which I use on both Windows n Linux to mount on boot/login via Settings manager fail to do so and result in always prompting for password and only mounts one of the 5.

• Tried installing some gaming stuff via Garuda Gamer in Welcome always fails to get some packages.

• Cannot save nVidia settings to X11.conf always says failed.

• Internet seems slower on Garuda than on Manjaro.

• Steam won't run says requires Internet when clearly it's there.

• It's a bit laggy..

I am going to be extremely patient and wait for next release. This Distro has a bright future ahead. Great work. I will definitely keep a close eye on this one, but for now I will stay away from it.. I really want to use it but not as it stands... Currently on Manjaro KDE 20.2... Fingers crossed all works out soon.

2 Likes

Use /etc/fstab.

I very much doubt this is a Garuda issue, This is an on again, off again type of issue with KDE. For that reason on KDE I always mount my drives with fstab or systemd mount units.

You say this without any statistics to back this statement up. Totally subjective so, why even make such a claim without some form of substantiation. I responded to literally thousands of networking support cases with Manjaro while performing support on their forum. So if we are going to make subjective claims count, I can authoritatively state that Manjaro has far more networking issues than Garuda (by far).

This was likely because of recent issues with the Chaotic AUR. This hardware failure was out of our control, and we responded to rebuild the packages as quickly as was possible given thet situation. Aside from that issue, you can install any gaming package you want through Pamac (or other methods) regardless. How does that issue with Garuda Gamer prevent you from gaming on Garuda? How pray tell did you ever manage to install your gaming apps on other distros without an auto installer to use?

While some people have issues setting up their gaming properly the vast majority don’t. So, this kind of makes me wonder how capable and experienced a user you are.

Your review somewhat reminds me of the review on Distrowatch that gave Garuda one of the lowest ratings possible because their install had a red tinge to the display color. The user never bothered to ask on the forum, but all the user had to do was disable Redshift if they didn’t like the tint it applied. After that review we had to disable Redshift by default on the Garuda KDE installs because of incompetentt users like that. So, sorry if I take all your negative comments with a 2 kilo bag of pickling salt. I can’t help but think that most of your issues could have been worked through and resolved with some research and effort.

Enjoy your time on whatever distro meets your fancy until we finally get your coveted good housekeeping seal of approval.

4 Likes

Thanks for this quick review, this will help making this distribution even better! :slight_smile:

Would you mind telling which choices you made?

1 Like

This is true for some of the issues, though others may end up being bugs in the images. For example, OP found an issue in mhwd’s NVIDIA driver setup (caused by an incorrect package name).

It could be that other issues above are similar, but it would still be better to split these up into separate threads and see if they can be resolved.

4 Likes

Use /etc/fstab.

I very much doubt this is a Garuda issue, This is an on again, off again type of issue with KDE. For that reason on KDE I always mount my drives with fstab or systemd mount units.

I kinda new to fstab thing how do I do that ? Although I do not have such behavior on Manjaro KDE…

You say this without any statistics to back this statement up. Totally subjective so, why even make such a claim without some form of substantiation. I responded to literally thousands of networking support cases with Manjaro while performing support on their forum. So if we are going to make subjective claims count, I can authoritatively state that Manjaro has far more networking issues than Garuda (by far).

Ok I understand what you are saying, but I only said SEEMED and not IS. So can be disregarded.

This was likely because of recent issues with the Chaotic AUR. This hardware failure was out of our control, and we responded to rebuild the packages as quickly as was possible given thet situation. Aside from that issue, you can install any gaming package you want through Pamac (or other methods) regardless. How does that issue with Garuda Gamer prevent you from gaming on Garuda? How pray tell did you ever manage to install your gaming apps on other distros without an auto installer to use?

While some people have issues setting up their gaming properly the vast majority don’t. So, this kind of makes me wonder how capable and experienced a user you are.

Your review somewhat reminds me of the review on Distrowatch that gave Garuda one of the lowest ratings possible because their install had a red tinge to the display color. The user never bothered to ask on the forum, but all the user had to do was disable Redshift if they didn’t like the tint it applied. After that review we had to disable Redshift by default on the Garuda KDE installs because of incompetentt users like that. So, sorry if I take all your negative comments with a 2 kilo bag of pickling salt. I can’t help but think that most of your issues could have been worked through and resolved with some research and effort.

Enjoy your time on whatever distro meets your fancy until we finally get your coveted good housekeeping seal of approval.

If I were a normal user I would say that your attitude towards this type of semi-negative review is uncalled for as not everyone is as savvy as you are. But am not so I will say this, I am not savvy enough to install a Distro and tinker with it n troubleshoot it on my own. I should have been clearer that I have only been using Linux for 3 months. And I must agree that all my issues COULD be due to recent Data loss… I do not know.

If I remind you of them then you clearly have mis-understood my intent. I did not put you next to last on my list of fave Distros, you are second to Manjaro KDE if you must know. But with an attitude like that coming from devs instead of taking it like professional constructive criticism and fight to make it better you well on your way there…

I do not trust online reviews as they clearly don’t use it long enough or well enough or even as I do so they only talk about surface

That said, I shall enjoy my time on whatever Distro I end up using, and it could well be Garuda once all quirks have been ironed out.

Would you mind telling which choices you made?

For example Proton-TKG fails to install coz package proton-tkg-git could not be found.

This is true for some of the issues, though others may end up being bugs in the images. For example, OP found an issue in mhwd’s NVIDIA driver setup (caused by an incorrect package name).

It could be that other issues above are similar, but it would still be better to split these up into separate threads and see if they can be resolved.

I agree, but splitting would get me lost IMHO. I could if I have to…

2 Likes

Provide

inxi -Fxxxza 

For us to understand what hardware you have And how you installed garuda.

I do not support installing garuda on anything other than btrfs.

Also garuda isn't a distro for noobs.

Using garuda requires you to have some prior knowledge due to its based on arch and being a rolling release.

We do provide some gui tools but only for convenience you have to learn maintaining a rolling release.

2 Likes

Unknown command: inxi-Fxxxza

Oops its

inxi -Fxxxza
1 Like
λ inxi -Fxxxza
System:    Kernel: 5.10.4-107-tkg-bmq x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0 
           parameters: intel_pstate=passive BOOT_IMAGE=/@/boot/vmlinuz-linux-tkg-bmq 
           root=UUID=44cfbf7b-6d28-46b7-8006-d4742e87d1e0 rw rootflags=subvol=@ quiet 
           rd.udev.log_priority=3 vt.global_cursor_default=0 systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=1 loglevel=3 
           splash 
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.20.4 tk: Qt 5.15.2 info: latte-dock wm: kwin_x11 dm: GDM 3.38.2.1, SDDM 
           Distro: Garuda Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: X570 Taichi serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends 
           v: P3.61 date: 11/06/2020 
Battery:   Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech MX Ergo Multi-Device Trackball serial: <filter> 
           charge: 55% (should be ignored) rechargeable: yes status: Discharging 
CPU:       Info: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 2 family: 17 (23) 
           model-id: 71 (113) stepping: N/A microcode: 8701021 L2 cache: 3 MiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 91298 
           Speed: 3794 MHz min/max: 2200/3800 MHz boost: disabled Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3794 2: 3655 
           3: 3667 4: 3638 5: 3642 6: 3680 7: 3710 8: 3789 9: 3541 10: 3473 11: 3673 12: 3611 
           Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: Not affected 
           Type: l1tf status: Not affected 
           Type: mds status: Not affected 
           Type: meltdown status: Not affected 
           Type: spec_store_bypass mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp 
           Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization 
           Type: spectre_v2 
           mitigation: Full AMD retpoline, IBPB: conditional, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling 
           Type: srbds status: Not affected 
           Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1080] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia v: 460.27.04 
           alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm bus ID: 0e:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1b80 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: nvidia display ID: :0 
           screens: 1 
           Screen-1: 0 s-res: 6400x1440 s-dpi: 108 s-size: 1505x342mm (59.3x13.5") s-diag: 1543mm (60.8") 
           Monitor-1: HDMI-0 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 102 size: 477x268mm (18.8x10.6") 
           diag: 547mm (21.5") 
           Monitor-2: HDMI-1 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 102 size: 477x268mm (18.8x10.6") 
           diag: 547mm (21.5") 
           Monitor-3: DP-2 res: 2560x1440 dpi: 109 size: 598x336mm (23.5x13.2") diag: 686mm (27") 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.27.04 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA GP104 High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 0e:00.1 chip ID: 10de:10f0 
           Device-2: AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio vendor: ASRock driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 10:00.4 chip ID: 1022:1487 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.4-107-tkg-bmq 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel bus ID: 06:00.0 chip ID: 8086:2723 
           IF: wlp6s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Intel I211 Gigabit Network vendor: ASRock driver: igb v: kernel port: f000 
           bus ID: 08:00.0 chip ID: 8086:1539 
           IF: enp8s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 4.65 TiB used: 866.31 GiB (18.2%) 
           SMART Message: Unable to run smartctl. Root privileges required. 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 maj-min: 259:5 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 970 EVO 1TB size: 931.51 GiB 
           block size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 serial: <filter> 
           rev: 2B2QEXE7 temp: 47.9 C 
           ID-2: /dev/nvme1n1 maj-min: 259:0 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 960 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB 
           block size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 serial: <filter> 
           rev: 3B7QCXE7 temp: 43.9 C 
           ID-3: /dev/sda maj-min: 8:0 vendor: Seagate model: ST3500418AS size: 465.76 GiB block size: 
           physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: CC38 
           ID-4: /dev/sdb maj-min: 8:16 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO 1TB size: 931.51 GiB 
           block size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: 4B6Q 
           ID-5: /dev/sdc maj-min: 8:32 model: SATA3 240GB SSD size: 223.57 GiB block size: 
           physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: Sf10 
           ID-6: /dev/sdd maj-min: 8:48 vendor: Seagate model: ST2000DM001-1ER164 size: 1.82 TiB 
           block size: physical: 4096 B logical: 512 B speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: CC26 
           ID-7: /dev/sde maj-min: 8:64 type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra USB 3.0 size: 115.69 GiB 
           block size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B serial: <filter> rev: 1.00 
           SMART Message: Unknown USB bridge. Flash drive/Unsupported enclosure? 
Partition: ID-1: / raw size: 223.27 GiB size: 223.27 GiB (100.00%) used: 14.49 GiB (6.5%) fs: btrfs 
           dev: /dev/sdc2 maj-min: 8:34 
           ID-2: /boot/efi raw size: 300 MiB size: 299.4 MiB (99.80%) used: 560 KiB (0.2%) fs: vfat 
           dev: /dev/sdc1 maj-min: 8:33 
           ID-3: /home raw size: 223.27 GiB size: 223.27 GiB (100.00%) used: 14.49 GiB (6.5%) fs: btrfs 
           ID-4: /var/log raw size: 223.27 GiB size: 223.27 GiB (100.00%) used: 14.49 GiB (6.5%) fs: btrfs 
           ID-5: /var/tmp raw size: 223.27 GiB size: 223.27 GiB (100.00%) used: 14.49 GiB (6.5%) fs: btrfs 
Swap:      Kernel: swappiness: 10 (default 60) cache pressure: 75 (default 100) 
           ID-1: swap-1 type: zram size: 2.61 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: 32767 dev: /dev/zram0 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 32.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 55 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 19% 
Info:      Processes: 393 Uptime: 2h 40m wakeups: 8 Memory: 31.28 GiB used: 6.44 GiB (20.6%) Init: systemd 
           v: 247 Compilers: gcc: 10.2.0 Packages: pacman: 1684 lib: 490 flatpak: 0 Shell: fish v: 3.1.2 
           running in: konsole inxi: 3.2.01
1 Like

OK, that explains a bit. I was assuming you had been using Linux longer than 3 months. I apologize for being so hard on you.

I am not a dev of the distro, but I know exactly how hard all the devs work to put out Garuda simply as a labour of love for others to enjoy. So, I freely admit it gets my blood boiling to read negative reviews especially when things they are complaining about aren’t even the distros fault.

Your drives can be mounted using fstab:

man fstab

or:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab

If you are a novice you will likely have a hard time deciphering its contents.

There are however tons of not so technical description of how to write your drives load line in fstab in lots of forum posts all over the web. A search term such as “How to mount an NTFS drive using fstab in Linux” should turn up tons of posts. If after researching this subject you are still confused, then make a post on the forum and I will assist you with writing your fstab file. Don’t give up so easily if you want to learn how to configure Linux properly.

You can use the Gnome Disks program to make the task far easier if you are a GUI oriented person. The disks program probably isn’t the best way to do this with an NTFS drive though, but you can check it out.

4 Likes

Please tell us what you find in your research; what you’ve read, what you’ve experimented doing, etc. That saves everyone from having to play the “64 Questions” game. :smiley:

regards

4 Likes

OK, that explains a bit. I was assuming you had been using Linux longer than 3 months. I apologize for being so hard on you.

I am not a dev of the distro, but I know exactly how hard all the devs work to put out Garuda simply as a labour of love for others to enjoy. So, I freely admit it gets my blood boiling to read negative reviews especially when things they are complaining about aren’t even the distros fault.

Thank you. That’s better. I am no kid, so, from experience a lot of Distro-Oriented forums have this elitist mentality and expect anyone posting reviews, or opinions or even reporting problems to be experienced. When the reality of it is, none of us are. That’s why we come and ask for help. That’s what differentiates a good support community from a bad one. It’s all about communication.

You can use the Gnome Disks program to make the task far easier if you are a GUI oriented person. The disks program probably isn’t the best way to do this with an NTFS drive though, but you can check it out.

Yeah, that’s how I used to do it in the early Linux days, then I discovered KDE where it was possible to do it from Settings manager. So far worked flawlessly on Manjaro KDE.

In my opinion having to do it via fstab a system file, the “clunky” way, shouldn’t have to be. Settings manager should work as advertised. I do understand that this particular issue is not Garuda related but question is why does it work in Manjaro not Garuda ? Why should we do it the “Hacky” way ?

1 Like

The first thing that comes to mind is we use very different kernels than Manjaro. You can always experiment with some different kernels. I saw kernel bugs that affected external drive mounting (or transfers) on Manjaro during my time there as well. It's impossible to predict what kind of issues you could experience running different kernel and hardware combinations.

1 Like

That is default Linux behaviour always has been. its to protect the user,

4 Likes

Good reply, on Manjaro it takes time to upgrade Kernel we still on 5.10.2-2 so I understand what you saying. They recently upgraded it. Also they removed legacy nVidia drivers and forced us to upgrade those separately due to overwhelming issues with black screen.

Anyway, am back on Manjaro coz of all the work I put into it. But I will be back to Garuda in due time. I will stick to forums and keep an eye out on new releases. I have high hopes all will get ironed out soon once it's fully recovered from crash..

Sir, now I can say with certainty, thank you for all your support, I shall return...

Peace be with you my good friend...

3 Likes

Happy new year @mandog, hoping to see you around for many more, old dog.

3 Likes

As you. … :+1:

2 Likes

Have a productive six weeks in quarantine, you old whore @mandog. And be nice to yer old lady! Tell 'er I’ll ship her a cast iron frying pan to use on your misbehaving ass. Har! :smiley:

warm regards

oops…OT

5 Likes

there are many several probs in this forum

with newest install

maybe an older version will help

Yet Another Professional Amateur Reviewer!
:sleeping_bed:

3 Likes