[Manual intervention required] Package conflict between pipewire-media-session & wireplumber

After I pressed yes on this dialog, I got this message:
Screenshot_15
What should I do?

Well I updated the package to fix a bug, it doesn't do anything if you applied the previous version :wink:

3 Likes

You can manually apply anything that needs to be done by running update in your terminal of choice.

2 Likes

I have audio only briefly after a reboot for a minute. then it disappears.

edit:

installing chaotic-aur/pipewire-common-pulse-git fixes sound disappearing

Today I started Garuda Linux, got the notification, clicked on "Apply fix", Fix applied, then did an update and everything went smooth.

Congrats to you guys ! Really nice work out there!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Mp4's not playing

First off: This is my first round of an Arch distro. Having a blast out of the box. Been on Ubuntu based distros with plasma since 2017. I'm an audio engineer of sorts and podcast editor. I have a very specific need for using pulse and jack. The assistant was great in removing pipewire with the checkboxes and adding jack pulse alsa support. This manual intervention kinda broke all that. A simple reinstall of pulse fixed it along with the pacman -Syu. Unfortunately, after each subsequent reboot, audio stops working. Jack wont start, pulse seems to start but cant start the audio devices. there might be some conflict with remnant pipewire packages/configs. But im not familiar with arch/pipewire enough yet to sus it out. again. Reinstallation of pulse/jack fixes, but only temporarily.

Just a troubleshooting suggestion, not a proper fix. Try locking your audio configuration file(s) with the chattrr command to see if you can find what change is causing this after rebooting.

I'm really not that good at debugging audio issues, so I'll leave that to someone more qualified.

2 Likes

If i knew where the audio configuration files were, I'd try. I've never messed with chattr. After further investigation in octopi, it seems that pipewire packages remain even though ive unchecked the support in Garuda Assistant. Must be some conflict. When attempting to remove pipewire packages in octopi, it shows a list of packages to be removed that shouldn't have anything to do with the audio back end. Like, lsp-plugins, calf plugins, other system packages.

Are you sure? PipeWire has support for both, and is intended as a replacement. Might be worth starting a new thread to get to the underlying issue.

3 Likes

This garuda-update message asking to remove "pipewire-media-session and replace with wireplumber" happened today for me. It happened about a month or two ago asking the opposite.

What is the correct one to use?

1 Like

Rodney, if you are running ARCH, then the correct response is NO (Arch homepage). Garuda, though, may use whatever the PTB (Powers That Be--Petaybee) determine.

Wireplumber WAS the King, then the king got deposed due to corruption.

2 Likes

same issue here

:: wireplumber and pipewire-media-session are in conflict. Remove pipewire-media-session? [y/N] 

If we say «no» we're stuck for now …

I use y, all fine, on my notebook so far.

1 Like

Yeah but Arch Linux - News: Undone replacement of pipewire-media-session with wireplumber

1 Like

From what I've seen it's depending on the devices in use. Personally, I don't have issues anymore since a lot of versions since the existing ones apparently got fixed. After all, active development happens :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So wireplumber is broken and we're supposed to install pipewire-media-session to replace it?

I recently switched to wireplumber and it fixed a bunch of audio glitches I was having. The only thing I don't like is that the notifications volume is now gone (granted it would reset to 100% each reboot with media session). It is a bit better than media session in that it seems to use the device volume rather than just be maxed out.

1 Like

Just pass Garuda-update and pipewire-media-session was remove

[2022-07-02T14:19:38+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Removed "/etc/systemd/user/pipewire-session-manager.service".
[2022-07-02T14:19:38+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Removed "/etc/systemd/user/pipewire.service.wants/pipewire-media-session.service".
[2022-07-02T14:19:38+0200] [ALPM] removed pipewire-media-session (1:0.4.1-2)

No issue with the sound
So .... you can go

This should not be an issue for anyone running Garuda as it defaults to PipeWire with the necessary supporting libraries for Pulse and JACK.

5 Likes