Make Octopi nondependent on Paru

I went to run topgrade and when it got to installing Sonarr I was asked if I wanted to review the files. This only happens when paru is installed. I launched pamac and went to uninstall paru only to get told octopi depends on paru. I then proceeded to uninstall octopi and then paru. Can these two programs be made independent of each other again since neither actually needs the other to work properly?

You need an AUR helper configured in Octopi to allow installing AUR packages.
I think the dependency was added to facilitate that, and avoid many users asking how to use Octopi for AUR (but I might not remember well).
In my opinion you could install yay and configure that in Octopi options for AUR.

5 Likes

I don't get why octopi was included at all since pamac is already installed during the OS install. Til I got that message uninstalling paru I didn't even realize Octopi was installed. As for yay it's one of the first things I install. As for pamac I replace that with pamac-all so I can enable AUR and Flatpak support in pamac.

That makes a lot of sense for those using octopi.

λ pacman -Si octopi                     
Repository      : chaotic-aur
Name            : octopi
Version         : 0.12.0-2
Description     : This is Octopi, a powerful Pacman frontend using Qt libs
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://tintaescura.com/projects/octopi/
Licenses        : GPL2
Groups          : None
Provides        : octopi  octopi-repoeditor  octopi-cachecleaner
Depends On      : alpm_octopi_utils  pkgfile  qtermwidget  sudo
Optional Deps   : octopi-notifier-qt5: Notifier for Octopi using Qt5 libs
octopi-notifier-frameworks: Notifier for Octopi with Knotifications support
pacaur: for AUR support
paru: for AUR support
pikaur: for AUR support
trizen: for AUR support
yay: for AUR support
pacmanlogviewer: to view pacman log files
Conflicts With  : octopi
Replaces        : None
Download Size   : 1467,86 KiB
Installed Size  : 5709,71 KiB
Packager        : Chaotic-AUR Wild Bear Node <[email protected]>
Build Date      : Do 11 Nov 2021 07:33:06 CET
Validated By    : MD5 Sum  SHA-256 Sum  Signature

Paru is just an optdepend, where did you get the idea Octopi depends on it? :eyes:

2 Likes

I launched pamac, searched paru, checked it for uninstall, clicked apply and got the message that octopi optionally depends on paru and pamac wouldn't let me uninstall paru till I uninstalled octopi. I get that by rights I should of been able to continue the paru uninstall, but pamac wasn't going to allow it. Maybe it's something with pamac-all versus the version you had installed.

That is just a warning, not an actual blocker though :thinking:

1 Like

I know it's not suppose to block but it did. Like I said maybe something with the particular version of pamac. Main thing is I now know why octopi and paru are linked so all is good in my book.

I think there was a switch to Octopi as the default in some editions - Pamac can sometimes have... issues. As to why there would be both installed though... :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Pamac has had a lot of issues in the past, ie, either not running or crashing. I finally gave up on it.

Octopi is a good default, you get both the standard repos and AUR. I like Bauh better, you get both of those things, plus you can enable flatpack, snap and it also includes app images which is handy if a maintainer abandons a project and it's forked (android-messages-desktop for example.)

2 Likes

I've never run into issues with Pamac. By default I launch it to see what updates are out there and then update through Konsole. As for Octopi it's been years since I've used it cause I didn't like how it handled updates. Might be time to take a look to see what improvements have been made.

3 Likes

At the moment, bauh was hit with the Python 3.10 update, so if you are going to try it, use the bauh-staging version in AUR as it has been updated. The standard version has been submitted, but I don't think it has passed along to stable yet.

1 Like

Thanks cause I have it in as backup, good to know it currently won't work.

1 Like