Load over the CPU is too High | SLOW Response | Freezing | Hang | Crash

I can report after 5 days and drive 'traffic' of over 300GB write and 1x manual balance with -dusage=50 -musage=50 I have no big freezes in my normal workflow.
When updating kernels and rebuilding DKMS it freezes a bit.
But I don't care about that.

I will test more and longer and report again.

5 Likes

That is very good news @BrutalBirdie.

Regarding your freezes when performing kernel updates, I'm wondering how many kernels you have installed?

In my case I've begun to suspect the number of kernels installed was indirectly contributing to the problem as well. As I had up to a half dozen kernels installed for testing purposes, I think this was a big contributor to data churn from updating so many kernels.

The more data you are flushing on a regular basis, the more frequently you must perform balancing. I also feel the size of your system partition directly affects how quickly this issue manifests. I feel the higher the percentage of flushed data on the system partition the worse the problem becomes.

I am also beginning to think we might want to increase the recommended minimum size for installations on the downloads page @librewish. Having more space on the system partition would seem to give a little more cushion to lessen this problem I'm beginning to think.

6 Likes

Currently only 2. Zen and LTS

2 Likes

If you are still looking for a solution, try to uninstall gamemode. Stay on the Linux kernel as opposed to the custom ones and use the whole suite of auto-cpufreq, thermald and tlp. Those are what keeps my temps in check for the most part. Also optimus-manager with power management settings.

@Khsh01 I feel most of the issues discussed on this thread were different than your issues.

The other thing I might mention is that tlp, while very convenient for configuring a laptop brings a lot of problems itself. From years of providing Linux support I can unequivocally state tlp introduces a ton of bugs that are very hard to diagnose unless you are a very adept troubleshooter. I do not have a very high opinion of tlp because of the myriad of bizzare bugs I've seen it introduce on Arch based systems over the years.

The first thing I would recommend if you are experiencing strange unexplainable issues is to uninstall tlp as a troubleshooting measure.

1 Like

Just a checkup for btrfsmaintenance again.

To this day since I installed btrfsmaintenance I did not have a single problem with btrfs so far.
I had qgroups and quota disabled.
Now I will enable qgroups for timeshift and enable quota for / again.
I will report back fast if there will be a performance drop :wink:
If not I will report back in 1-2 Weeks.

4 Likes

Thanks for that update. I run a small SSD drive for my OS, and I still find a balance operation is required right after a very large update like when I've been away from home for a long time or after I've deleted all my snapshots. Hardly a big deal now that I've gotten into the habit of balancing after large data dumps.

2 Likes

:wave: Here I am with the week report regarding btrfsmaintenance.
Within 7-8 days I've updated my system 4 times and now have 4 Snapshots.

I've noticed some slowdown for the shutdown and startup, a bit of jitter on the startup splash screen.
Also some times applications behaved a bit sluggish, the good old windows XP feeling of dragging a window and it leaving a trail. This was only minor tho.

I have now increased the values in /etc/default/btrfsmaintenance from:
BTRFS_BALANCE_PERIOD="weekly" to BTRFS_BALANCE_PERIOD="daily"
and
BTRFS_SCRUB_PERIOD="monthly" to BTRFS_SCRUB_PERIOD="weekly"

Will report back in a week. :wave:

4 Likes

Within 1 day I've updated my system 2-4 times, and now I have 6 Snapshots.

And I feel nothing, no jitter, no sluggish.

It's an old i7 3770K on old 250 GiB SSD.

I run this DE since ~ 2-3 month. I will report in one week the same :wink:

5 Likes

Final report on btrfsmaintenance.

No mayor issues, sometimes on read/write heavy processes there is some jitter which is so minor I dont care that much.

Overall I can say I am happy with btrfsmaintenance and can recommend it very strongly.

5 Likes