Live environment freezes after connecting to wifi

I was trying out Garuda KDE dr460nized on a live environment and everytime I try to connect to my wifi network, everything freezes and the caps lock lights starts blinking.

My computer's specs:
CPU: Intel 2nd gen core i3 CPU
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Ram: 8gigs

You'll need to provide detail about your wifi card, e.g. the output of inxi -Nxxxz.

Thank you, the problem seems to be solved after I installed it

From inxi -Nxxxz output my wifi card is Broadcom BCM4313 802.11bgn wireless network adapter

I think the drivers weren't installed on the live environment, I'm a noob so I really don't know.

No, the drivers ARE installed for Broadcom on the live environment. However, the Broadcom drivers for some adapters from Broadcom differ between the live and installed environments.

If you don't want to have these types of issues in Linux, then only buy hardware from manufacturers that use Linux friendly components that provide open source drivers.

Broadcom is the furthest thing from that. Their drivers are proprietary and they refuse to open source their driver code. Broadcom chips justifiably have the worst reputation by far, for being Linux compatible. Some of the Broadcom wifi hardware has no Linux drivers at all.

If you want to be almost guaranteed to have issues in Linux then by all means purchase Broadcom wifi based hardware.

If you are trying to run an Apple computer with Broadcom inside you're lucky it works at all. Again Apple is the worst hardware manufacturer for Linux compatibility. It's like buying a diesel vehicle and then complaining it won't run on normal gasoline. Be more selective at purchase time if you want your hardware to be able to run Linux without problems.

Just saying, it's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

3 Likes

Ohh, I see :joy:
I didn't choose my hardware, it was a hand me down.
But I'm glad I saw this, I'll keep it in mind when I get to buy another computer.

2 Likes

Thread is deemed abandoned.

Thread is now closed.

PM a mod if you are the OP and wish the issue reopened.