Linux 5.16's autodefrag BTRFS regression

I am not on 5.16 yet so I am not noticing it, but you're right everyone reporting it is using the ssd flag... that or we hdd users have become a species in extintion xD.

3 Likes

Seven commits with BTRFS defrag-related patches have reached the 5.16.y branch and are in the just-tagged 5.16.5:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/log/?h=linux-5.16.y&qt=grep&q=btrfs

5 Likes

This problem does not only affect the ssd. I use the following mount options:

defaults,noatime,space_cache=v2,autodefrag,nossd,compress-force=zstd:15.  

And there is a lot of writing. I don't mind since I am using hardware RAID on an adaptec controller. And why would an SSD have autodefrag enabled? It significantly increases the amount of writes anyway, from my observations, up to 2-3 times depending on the type of data.

1 Like

@TNE is on Youtube!
Seems the hotfix was a good thing, according to that Tube guy.

@4m05s
@13m21s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKhu3I066Vc

5 Likes

I accidentally dismissed this. How do I bring it back?

its fixed with the new 5.16.5 Kernel

3 Likes

Simply run a normal system update by opening Garuda Assistant and pressing System Update.

2 Likes

I'm famous!
I wonder why he said he wouldn't usually recommend Garuda Linux :thinking:

9 Likes

The same guy did some serious trashtalk on Garuda a while back so Iā€™m not trusting any of it. But, on the other side TNE deserves the praise :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Pffffff >.>

2 Likes

We identified this as an issue 2 weeks ago, so we were well ahead of the curve in taking corrective measures.

Big thanks to @TNE for rolling out the hotfix so quickly.

8 Likes

Because I do not like highly opinionated Arch respins. I dislike preconfigured desktops and installs that create more complicated setups. I see many posts from people who get their desktop settings changed by updates to Plasma. Changing Latte Dock can be a small nightmare, and then Latte Dock looses its settings! I feel it is best to ship stock desktops and let people decide what to change. I realize that Garuda offers minimal ISOs, and that is good. However, Garuda minimal is still too much for my tastes. I produce my own Arch respins and offer stock installs with a few package selections, minimal and minor custom configs, and no outside repositories. Ezarcher gives only standard Arch packages and thatā€™s it. That is the way I like it, so that is why I do not recommend spins like Garuda.

So you only use your account here to advertise your minimal distribution
and YT to badmouth all others that do not meet your "standard".
Not a nice way.

2 Likes

This is like the 9 billionth time youā€™ve thanked me for rolling out this hotfix I get it :stuck_out_tongue:
It actually took me some time since I was busy because of friends and was just doing it in the downtime hah

5 Likes

I was answering a question with examples. You call it advertising? Eh!
I removed all Garuda videos from my YT channel a while ago.

My more recent posts were:

Not exactly unhelpful or off topic in the least.

Whoa whoa I think you're overreacting a bit here.
That was just a response to the question I asked >.>

3 Likes

I can get along with most of your points (Garuda is opinionated and ā€œbloatedā€ by the standards of a minimal Arch pacstrap), but I think saying

is a little belittling of the time and effort the developers put in - and yes, I fully regard them as developers, given the software that has been developed as a part of their efforts on Garuda.

Garuda is a fully-fledged Arch derivative, just as EndeavourOS and Arco and Manjaro are Arch derivatives.

14 Likes

I agree on Garuda a lot of work has goes into it. nothing wrong with it being opinionated that is what makes it standout in the crowd not only that it makes KDE nearly enjoyable for me to use.

4 Likes

Dont agreeā€¦ Lets be honest here ā€¦ Arch is just a spin of LFS distro.

/s

5 Likes

NO its not its its inspired by Crux which was inspired by Unix and still is using bsd scripts which has not changed since 2000 and Arch pre systemd was virtually the same as crux including ports that gradually got fazed out in Arch.
That being said Linux evolved from source originally as a fork of Unix surely.
Linux from scratch is just a book not a distro, that many have tried to interpret but never perfected as like Crux is very dated and not in touch with Linux of today in philosophy great ideals just not for the masses.

Is LFS a distro?

LFS (as well as BLFS) is for people who would like to build their own Linux distributions, know exactly how every package is built from source and put together as a Linux distribution that works.

1 Like