Launch app using discreet Nvidia GPU instead of Intel on KDE?

I don't know, and I don't really care enough. You can just edit your desktop entries to include prime-run instead.

1 Like

I appreciate the help, though it is a little strange there's no option like that caked in. It seems like an obvious thing. Is there no way to add a menu option for handling this to things in KDE or Latte?

sorry for making trouble instead of helping. Didn´t know your GPU was not supported.
Even thought TNE don´t like it optimus manager can make you run apps with the dedicated GPU. But not sure if it is the best course of action for you now...

Optimus manager will run

1. Everything on Integrated
  2. Everything on Nvidia
  3. Hybrid mode

The prime config is hybrid mode. The other 2 modes are useless because hybrid mode exists. They only cause confusion when Nvidia mode inevitably doesn't work and bricks your system. So, why bother with Optimus manager?

4 Likes

Make a feature request to KDE’s developers? :wink:

5 Likes

Do you not know how to edit your desktop files?

Desktop files are the equivalent of window’s start up shortcuts, (more or less). You can simply edit how the game (or whatever you want) opens with prime-run with your Nvidia card in its desktop start up file.

A little bit of work, (but not that much), and it does what you want for you if you are averse to using the terminal.

3 Likes

Launch app on discrete GPU (dGPU)? I have some words to say.

1. You don't need optimus manager
  2. You don't need nvidia-prime package and command prime-run

You only need installed NVIDIA drivers and following command:

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia

If you want to run any package on NVIDIA GPU:
__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia package

If you want to run anything in the Steam on NVIDIA GPU:
__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia %command%

It works on X11 and Wayland very well.

That's all :blush:

3 Likes

BTW, where you put these commands :smiley: ?

1 Like

So, this is actually prime-run in the end, isn't it?
:eyes:

2 Likes