Kernel update process question

Currently I am running tkg-muqss-sandybridge 5.10.6 and I am building 5.10.10. I was just wondering if these subtypes (sandybridge or whatnot) are kept current and available for system updates?

Or maybe just the more generalized kernels are available this way (linux-tkg-muqss-5.10.10) without the processor arch specifically?

The reason I'm asking is the muqss-sandybridge was available for install but hasn't been available for pacman -Syu update since 5.10.6.

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I have seen the same thing with linux-tkg-MuQSS-zen2.
I will follow the discussion to understand how this works.

You're not alone, linux-tkg-bmq-zen2 is currently at 5.10.7 which is out of date and whats even worse is that the BTRFS regression was fixed in 5.10.8 so anyone using this kernel with garuda is suffering performance slow down due to the decompression taking more time than usual.

The non arch kernels are up to date. So same as you I am building the kernel myself straight from source with -O3 GCC flag and zen2 arch instead. Currently at 5.10.10-115-tkg-bmq-zen2.

Totally true.
While I'm here, 5.11 is supposed to bring lots of new stuff for BTRFS.
Come on, where's 5.11? lollll

Yeah I'm about to try that bmq-zen2. But 114 version from chaotic.

5.11 is still in the rc phase so it's not going to get added until a 5.11.1 comes out

Anyway, as Garuda Linux is all about performance, I think the kernel should be complied with the -O3 flags when it comes to architecture specific patches as it is supposed to be more optimised thus be more faster without the redundant code

One cluster of our building infrastructure which is dedicated to kernels is currently offline due to frequent kernel panics and waiting for a fix - thats why kernels are delayed a bit currently

4 Likes