KeepNote could not load my notebook in KeepNote format (.nbk)

Thank you for responding in such a detailed manner. When people do not respond to suggestions it sometimes makes it appear as though the suggestion was ignored.

It is sad when a great piece of software becomes abandoned, but that is the unfortunately the fate of many projects that are only a personal work of love.

I hope you find a satisfactory solution that works for you. On the bright side at least all your documents are accessible in the meantime.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for your understanding @tbg
Best regards

1 Like

Hello to all.
After long days testing, with the help of an expert I has able to create an AppImage of Keepnote, it ran well in a Debian derivative but not in Garuda. Then I went back to the advice of @jonathon and I installed Keepnote using Pamac and the AUR, I tested with a very old and small backup and it worked!.

Then trying with my present data, 30 times more information, it did not work. After more tests, brainstorm with myself and searching the web I found I had the main 2 XML files corrupted although they are recognized as valid XML by the online tools and were the original backup from a working Notebook.

It still has the problem that does not open the Notebook via the main menu, but I made the main file ran with Keepnote and it regenerated the Notebook tree, and finally it is working as expected, even with the screen capture feature.

I am tired but happy. I do appreciate all the help of the people of this forum. Now, with time, next year I will look deeply if I can find a maintained and updated application that works in a similar an efficient way like this and can import my data. This is the result:

2 Likes

I mark-it-solved ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So nice see a user who puts in the effort to resolve their own issues. From helping out on Linux Forum's regularly in the past I can say there's nothing more disheartening than reading endless posts such as:

"Your distro is garbage, I'm going back to OS-Whatever, where my super important niche software works flawlessly."

Thanks for not being "that" user. Users such as yourself will be a boon to any Linux community.

Welcome to Garuda.

4 Likes

Hello @SGS I do marked @jonathon post as the solution because the package from AUR works even with the issue of opening the Notebook from menu, but with right click over notebook.nbk and select Keepnote application and it worked, but only after emptying the file, and forcing the application to regenerate the Notebook tree.
Regards

2 Likes

Thank you for your praise @tbg life has forced me to learn the hard way that I must solve my issues, including health issues. I thought the backup Notebook was fine, time is the price to pay for being a user and not a programmer.

And being a distrohopper taught me that all Linux are good, the difference is in the style and features its creators put into the distro, according to their particular taste. Some of them are very fast, without interest in aesthetics, others run a lot of specialized software, others are minimalists, others bloated, and I like Garuda KDE Lite because it combines style and aesthetics, with a good set of applications and functionality, I like that, although it takes resources to accomplish that.

The only thing I do not understand is why if I marked no swap at the moment before install it, the installer installed swap, that is no good for SSD drives.
Regards.

2 Likes
cat /etc/fstab

If at install time you have a swap partition on it, it will be used automatic by system.

It isnt swap its zram

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @librewish , I did not know about zram, now I understand the discrepancy with my free memory, it must be due to zram, very clever. Htop sees zram as swap. I did not have swap in my old OS @SGS
Regards

2 Likes

Even if swap is used on SSD drives, I would not be overly concerned. I have 64GB SSD drives that have been in use for at least 8 years with Linux swap partitions on them. I have yet to suffer a failure or even a smart warning on these very old SSD's. First generation SSD's are the ones that were very poor with regards to write cycles. Newer SSD's it is really not a concern for the most part.

Newer SSD's are rated for so many write cycles that I think it's not even worth worrying about that factor any more.

3 Likes
 $ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may
# be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if
# disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=5a2cea5b-57c4-494f-9ef2-87bcf7637446 /              btrfs   subvol=@,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag,compress=zstd,ssd,commit=120 0 1
UUID=5a2cea5b-57c4-494f-9ef2-87bcf7637446 /home          btrfs   subvol=@home,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag,compress=zstd,ssd,commit=120 0 2
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0

These several pieces of zram takes 4GB

> $ cat /proc/swaps   
> Filename                                Type            Size            Used            Priority
> /dev/zram0                              partition       510596          359736          32767
> /dev/zram1                              partition       510596          356116          32767
> /dev/zram2                              partition       510596          358476          32767
> /dev/zram3                              partition       510596          357964          32767
> /dev/zram4                              partition       510596          356308          32767
> /dev/zram5                              partition       510596          360256          32767
> /dev/zram6                              partition       510596          352432          32767
> /dev/zram7                              partition       510596          361336          32767
> /dev/sda4                               partition       2120576         430720          1024

Dear Joejac

greate job, there are many files envolved, Please, Could you share the keepnote.appimage ?

Hi there, welcome to the forum!
This is a very old post. Please do not “necrobump”.
The OP has been last seen on 27 Jun '21 to give you an idea :wink:
If necessary, open a new topic.

1 Like