Iw dev connect not working

I’m posting from my phone, so I can’t include the output of ‘garuda inxi’, sorry.

My desktop became completely unresponsive after a failed update two days ago and I’m trying to connect wirelessly to an open network to re-download the broken packages.
I’ve managed all the preceeding steps necessary to connect wirelessly from the Arch Wiki but every time after trying to run

iw dev [device] connect [SSID] [BSSID]

It keeps returning
Usage: iw [options] dev connect [- w] [] [] [auth open|shared] [key 0:abcde d:1:6162636465] [mfp:req/opt/no]

Join the network with the given SSID (and frequency, BSSID).
With w, wait for the connect to finish or fail.
Options:
- - debug enable netlink debugging

I’ve been at this for a few hours and I can’t figure out what’s wrong with the command, and I’d appreciate some help with it.

Have you tried to just rollback to the snapshot taken before the failed update?

3 Likes

Yeah.
All of them that I could access. None has a working desktop

Just on the off chance it might work properly, try creating a new user account.

You can use USB Android phone tethering to obtain a working internet connection.

You can also post your garuda-inxi from the live boot environment. Testing the live environment is always a good troubleshooting step.

3 Likes

It’s hard to see what’s happening without seeing the actual command being run, but just to ask the obvious: you are not running the command with those square brackets, right?

In case you are missing them, the SSID should have quotes around it, like this:

sudo iw dev my_cool_network_interface connect "my_cool_ssid"

You can also do this with nmcli, which I personally find to be more straightforward.

Make sure the WiFi interface is enabled.

nmcli device set my_cool_network_interface wifi on

Check the available WiFi networks if you want to.

nmcli device wifi list

Connect to the network.

nmcli device wifi connect "my_cool_ssid" ifname my_cool_network_interface
4 Likes

Hey.
I wasn’t using brackets around the options, but I didn’t know about the quotation marks either since they weren’t in the Arch Wiki.
That was it. I’ve just fixed everything.
Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.