Issues with Dolphin after updating with "-Syyu"

Hey guys,

So i updated my system yesterday with "sudo pacman -Syyu"

The update went fine without any error messages...

Afterward, when I tried to open Dolphine file manager, no files or directories were showing and I got this error message - could not find /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so

I did a quick google search and ran this command "dbus-launch dolphin" and that fixed the issue..

I was wondering why that error occurred...
Did I mess up something by doing Syyu? if so, then how can I fix it?

P.S: I might seem a bit paranoid and that's because a few days ago I visited a torrent site, and it was scammy as hell.. I quickly got out, but wondering if some virus infected or something.

Thanks...

Have you rebooted since your update?

3 Likes

no, i did not.. busy with a lot of projects currently and have all of them in memory.. plan to reboot in the weekends..

will rebooting fix the issue?

I often have similar issues after a major frameworks or gear update. Rebooting usually resolves them.

I can’t say for sure though.

5 Likes

you need to reboot

1 Like

When I was having fun skying, the saying went, “when in doubt whip it out” though that was usually an indication of a main 'chute failure and and impending reserve 'chute ride. (There were also not so nice ones.)

But it’s as appropriate as following @dalto’s suggestion. A reboot fixes a myriad of suspected ‘problems’ in Linux (just like Win), and is usually one of the first tools in a troubleshooter’s bag of tricks.

@dalto’s ‘suggestion’ carries almost the same gravitas. :parachute: :wink:

regards

4 Likes

Just a note: Please use a single y (pacman -Syu). That updates by hash instead of downloading the entire database. It easier of the mirrors.

If I recall correctly: Shared object files (.so) and Dolphin can be funny. If the so file changes, Dolphin can look for a particular function it's been using and not find it. Restarting Dolphin (as you did with dbus-launch dolphin) forces Dolphin to re-locate the functions within.

7 Likes

Yes a reboot will resolve the issue. Same here yesterday. While you’re at it check your Dolphin settings. A lot of mine were reset to the default and I had to revert them to what I like. Piece of advice in the future you should post the entire error message instead of just part of it.

3 Likes

Dolphin, elisa, konsole and other KDE stuff got major update recently. And it is necessary to reboot after each major update. Also, see

6 Likes

Yeah.. i generally update with Syu.. don't know what got into me.. maybe i wanted to type more on the terminal and feel cool or something.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Then type complete command to refresh mirrorlist and update
:wink:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.