Issues with BTRFS - unexpected unmounting of ROOT

Your description of your problem with the filesystem randomly unmounting and crashes happening irrespective of work load reminds me of issues I had with failing hard drives or bad SATA cables.

4 Likes

Now that I look at it, I see Crucial released a firmware update for the drive that is giving you trouble: MX500 SSD firmware & support | Crucial.com

These are the fixes cited with this firmware update:

• Fixed SATA protocol error that causes start-up failure on certain data center RAID systems
  • Improved boot time after unexpected power loss
  • Fixed Read DMA command abort after an interrupted Secure Erase

Obviously there is no Linux support for the firmware update because people suck. Since you have Windows on a separate drive though, you might be able to use your Windows system to administer the firmware update. :man_shrugging:

You'll have to read through the literature and figure out if this update applies to your device in the first place of course. And don't forget to back up your data!

8 Likes

WOAAAAAAAHHH!!!! @BluishHumility you're taking the cake.

That's exactly that kind of nasty and actually small type of issue I already had expected and talked about with @Grimy1928 yesterday! THANK YOU !!!

Additional info:
I had the issue even with no NVME plugged in means no Windows under the hood.
I also have just checked my BIOS settings. Everything like FastBoot or even TPM is disabled. And killed it in Windows as well ofc.

Ok then I'm pretty sure and feel a ton better. I've planned to kill my Win10 for Garuda anyways, so the HW issue you mentioned doesn't actually affect me. But it literally smeared my test and first experience with Garuda. And killed my Win10Home on my laptop. I tried to add an Garuda to my laptop (the CX500SSD is from my ASUS laptop) for a first peak. After a failed partitioning process the data was lost. So I took the SSD to my production machine for a plain Garuda install.
Means I know the reason for both issues then.

You guys are awesome :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

have a good one o/

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.