Install usb stuck at Starting systemd-udevd version 253.1-3-arch

Hello, I am trying to install gardua-i3wm on a brand new system i built with Intel i-5-13600K and Nvidia 4080. The install usb gets stuck at the following line for both boot with open source driver and with proprietary nvida drivers.

Starting systemd-udevd version 253.1-3-arch

I hope someone has faced similar situations that can help me out

Welcome :slight_smile:

Try Garuda Xfce, other kernel (just as test), btw, live ISO work?
Also check with other USB drive, check sha sum.
Did you use ventoy.net?

3 Likes

What’s the file name of the ISO you downloaded?
This is to check which version you got.

1 Like

Hello, don't mean to threadjack but I am also having the same issue. I just downloaded Garuda dr460nized Gaming Linux zen 230319 and using ventoy 1.0.91 UEFI. I'm running on a Ryzen 9 7950x and MSI gaming x trio 4090.

This is the live cd/installer booting. I tried the arch installer with the same result. Ubuntu installer gave a different error for “unknown chipset” with nouveau. However i was able to get pass that by adding nomodeset rdblacklist=nouveau to the boot entry and install ubuntu itself. I want to clarify this all happens before i was able to install anything. The errors are coming from booting with the usb itself.

ok i have made some progress... I was able to get pass systemd-udevd being stuck by disabling modeset per instruction on Kernel mode setting - ArchWiki. However the live cd/installer boot-up process ended with lightdm-plymouth not able to start message. So next i tried to disable nouveau since i was able to install ubuntu by blacklisting nouveau. It now is stuck after Finished LiveMedia Keyring setup. Is there any non-graphical installer i can use for garuda? If nothing comes to avail I might have to pull out my nvidia card and install with the Intel integrated graphics card and then install the nvidia driver before putting it back in. I really want to avoid that if possible.

Depending on the motherboard, the may be options in the "BIOS" boot screen to disable or change priority of graphics cards. It may have names like "PCI-E (or PEG) Onboard PCI-E/Onboard".
Many only let you disable the iGPU though.

I see there is also bbswitch (it's also packaged in community as both bbswitch and bbswitch-dkms) to disable an nvidia card with a kernel module, but 1) first read the readme at github because it can cause the screen to stay black and force a manual BIOS reset to use the computer again 2) I have no idea how to pull that off from the install media.

Disclaimer: I never tried any of this, and I don't have an nvidia to test it.

1 Like

thanks for the info. i'll try to fiddle with this and report back what i encounter.

Just thinking out loud: does booting without quiet splash in the kernel parameters make any difference?

About bbswitch, I suspect one would have to rebuild the .iso to include it... I'd reach for a screwdriver.
But maybe if it's possible to at least boot to a console then it should be easier.

2 Likes

oh i can reach the console with CTRL-ALT-F2 but even if i install the nvidia drivers i will have to restart to mess with the boot parameters. since i am working with the live cd everything reverts back to it's original state(without driver) up on reboot so that road is kind of a dead end. I really wished there is an option for a console only install that don't require gui.

Ok, it has not been a good day. I remove the nvidia graphics card and was able to install garuda and install the latest nvidia via

pacman -S nvidia

I then proceeded to shutdown and put the Video card back in. It is now stuck at loading initial ramdisk... I know the next step is to use the live mdedia to do a chroot and see if can scalvage any logs. Needless to say at this point I am almost giving up to go to Ubuntu lol... I will report back more findings to see if can get any logs with chroot.

oh btw, none of the disabling modeset or specifically blacklisting the open source nvidia driver worked.

Try instead, from the chroot:

pacman -Syu nvidia-dkms

Connect to the forum from the live environment so you can copy and paste the input/output into the thread so we can see what’s happening.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been fiddling with this and found the following.

1. I can actually boot by pluging the hdmi cable to the integrated graphics port without physically removing the nvidia graphics card from the motherboard. This def saved a lot of time
  2. I have tried nvidia-dkms with linux lts or zen, nvidia-lts with linux lts or zen and all of them gets stuck at the loading initial ramdisk stage. The only thing i see in my journalctl is the mknod command being errored out.
(udev-worker)[594]: nvidia: Process '/usr/bin/bash -c '/usr/bin/mknod -Z -m 666 /dev/nvidiactl c $(grep nvidia-frontend /proc/devices | cut -d \  -f 1) 255'' failed with exit code 1.
(udev-worker)[594]: nvidia: Process '/usr/bin/bash -c 'for i in $(cat /proc/driver/nvidia/gpus/*/information | grep Minor | cut -d \  -f 4); do /usr/bin/mknod -Z -m 666 /dev/nvidia${i} c $(grep nvidia-frontend /proc/devices | cut -d \  -f 1) ${i}; done'' failed with exit code 1

However the dev files are there when i ls

╭─fobbyal@fba in /var/log🔒 as 🧙 took 47s
 ╰─λ ls /dev/nvidia*
/dev/nvidia0  /dev/nvidiactl  /dev/nvidia-modeset  /dev/nvidia-uvm  /dev/nvidia-uvm-tools

I do see that the failed-to-boot Xorg.0.log having the following last line and goes no further

[     8.483] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms

I also tried nvida-lts with linux lts just for good measure and i got similar response
Below is the graphics portion of my garuda-inxi

Graphics:                                                                                                                      
  Device-1: Intel Raptor Lake-S GT1 [UHD Graphics 770] vendor: Gigabyte                                                        
    driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen-13 process: Intel 7 (10nm) built: 2022+                                                   
    ports: active: HDMI-A-2 empty: DP-1,HDMI-A-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0                                                               
    chip-ID: 8086:a780 class-ID: 0300                                                                                          
  Device-2: NVIDIA AD103 [GeForce RTX 4080] vendor: PNY driver: nvidia                                                         
    v: 530.41.03 alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm non-free: 530.xx+                                                               
    status: current (as of 2023-03) arch: Lovelace code: AD1xx 
    process: TSMC n4 (5nm) built: 2022-23+ pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s                                                        
    lanes: 16 link-max: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s bus-ID: 01:00.0                                                                  
    chip-ID: 10de:2704 class-ID: 0300                                                                                          
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.8 compositor: Picom v: git-b700a                                                          
    driver: X: loaded: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: nouveau                                                                    
    alternate: fbdev,intel,nv,vesa dri: iris gpu: i915 display-ID: :0                                                          
    screens: 1                                                                                                                 
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 2560x1440 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 677x381mm (26.65x15.00")                                                      
    s-diag: 777mm (30.58")                                                                                                     
  Monitor-1: HDMI-A-2 mapped: HDMI-2 model: Acer XV272U serial: <filter>                                                       
    built: 2020 res: 2560x1440 hz: 144 dpi: 109 gamma: 1.2                                                                     
    size: 597x336mm (23.5x13.23") diag: 685mm (27") ratio: 16:9 modes:                                                         
    max: 2560x1440 min: 720x400                                                                                                
  API: OpenGL Message: Unable to show GL data. Required tool glxinfo                                                           
    missing.  

I am happy to report back that i got things working. I did a bunch of difference things and i am not sure what really helped. Some of them might not matter so please take it with grain of salt. The only thing i know is that it is consistently booting with my current step.

1. Was using hdmi and switched to DP
  2. removed quite splash from grub command line
  3. added nomodeset to grub command line
  4. disabled plymouth by masking it with systemctl
  5. installed nvida instead of nvidia-dkms

Reason I did the above
I disabled plymouth because after turning on grub debug I see the boot process consistently gets stuck (with out the nomodeset flag) around when plymouth gets started. Also i saw X.org.0.log.old showing that nothing happens after kms message.
This process does not work unless i set nomodeset not sure why.

At the moment i am a bit tired and not willing to go back to see what exactly did the trick. I will circle back and fiddle with at a later time.

Thank you all for the help.

To summarize for my particular setup i had to do the following to get garuda installed

1. Use intel integrated graphics to boot live-media and install garuda [must]
  2. install nvidia [must]
  3. make sure to use display port instead of hdmi cable [not 100% sure ]
  4. disable kms by adding nomodeset [must]
  5. mask plymouth via systemctl [not 100% sure]

here is the final garuda-inxi for good measure

System:
  Kernel: 6.2.10-zen1-1-zen arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 12.2.1
    parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/@/boot/vmlinuz-linux-zen
    root=UUID=b4bfaaa3-bcf4-4bdc-acb9-100b55e070dd rw rootflags=subvol=@
    debug nosplash nomodeset rd.udev.log_priority=3
    vt.global_cursor_default=0 loglevel=3 ibt=off
  Desktop: i3 v: 4.22 info: i3bar vt: 7 dm: LightDM v: 1.32.0
    Distro: Garuda Linux base: Arch Linux
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z790 AORUS ELITE AX v: x.x
    serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: FB
    date: 01/10/2023
CPU:
  Info: model: 13th Gen Intel Core i5-13600K bits: 64 type: MST AMCP
    arch: Raptor Lake gen: core 13 level: v3 note: check built: 2022+
    process: Intel 7 (10nm) family: 6 model-id: 0xB7 (183) stepping: 1
    microcode: 0x112
  Topology: cpus: 1x cores: 14 mt: 6 tpc: 2 st: 8 threads: 20 smt: enabled
    cache: L1: 1.2 MiB desc: d-8x32 KiB, 6x48 KiB; i-6x32 KiB, 8x64 KiB
    L2: 20 MiB desc: 6x2 MiB, 2x4 MiB L3: 24 MiB desc: 1x24 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 3121 high: 3500 min/max: 800/5100:3900 scaling:
    driver: intel_pstate governor: powersave cores: 1: 1024 2: 3500 3: 3500
    4: 3500 5: 1100 6: 3500 7: 3500 8: 3500 9: 3500 10: 3500 11: 800 12: 3500
    13: 3500 14: 3500 15: 3500 16: 3500 17: 3500 18: 3500 19: 3500 20: 3500
    bogomips: 139776
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
  Vulnerabilities: <filter>
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Raptor Lake-S GT1 [UHD Graphics 770] vendor: Gigabyte
    driver: N/A alternate: i915 arch: Gen-13 process: Intel 7 (10nm)
    built: 2022+ bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:a780 class-ID: 0300
  Device-2: NVIDIA AD103 [GeForce RTX 4080] vendor: PNY driver: nvidia
    v: 530.41.03 alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm non-free: 530.xx+
    process: TSMC n4 (5nm) built: 2022-23+ pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s
    lanes: 16 link-max: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s bus-ID: 01:00.0
    chip-ID: 10de:2704 class-ID: 0300
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.8 compositor: Picom v: git-b700a
    driver: X: loaded: nvidia unloaded: modesetting,nouveau
    alternate: fbdev,nv,vesa gpu: nvidia display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 2560x1440 s-dpi: 108 s-size: 602x342mm (23.70x13.46")
    s-diag: 692mm (27.26")
  Monitor-1: DP-0 res: 2560x1440 hz: 144 dpi: 109
    size: 597x336mm (23.5x13.23") diag: 685mm (26.97") modes: N/A
  API: OpenGL Message: Unable to show GL data. Required tool glxinfo
    missing.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.