Initial "search" screen

After starting the system and logging into a gnome desktop, it's like you've pushed the SUPER key and are in a search screen, where the desktops are minimized, the bottom toolbar is exposed, etc. Sorry, I don't know what that is called.
Anyhow, how do I get it start without doing that? I find it annoying.
Any ideas would be appreciated!

thats gnome for you if you dont like that dont use gnome

10 Likes

There's also an extension,

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/4099/no-overview/

There's quite a bit of customisation that can be done via extensions, but be aware they regularly break when GNOME gets a major release (e.g. 3.38->40, and likely the same with 40->41).

7 Likes

The whole this topic is discussed here:

There is also some helpful info about the extension linked above.

But one of the answers from developers sounds really funny:

The easiest way to avoid ending up in the overview after login is to no log out in the first place.

Locking the screen or suspending your laptop are two convenient ways of doing so.

Definitely is not what you expect from Linux at all.

3 Likes

No this is only distro I've used where gnome does that to me.

Think I found the same discussion. I will try the extension since I use a few extensions anyhow. I was hoping there was an easier way, but whatever....

In which case, the other distros don't have GNOME 40.

It's pretty trivial to install a single extension that you don't even have to spend any time looking for. It really doesn't get much easier than that.

3 Likes

Ok, you're right about one computer, but the other is on the latest Arch. Arch isn't using Gnome 40? I'll have to check later.

It is, unless you haven't updated it for a few months. :wink:

1 Like

I think the joke is arch users (and ergo garuda users) update every few hours!
:wink: :wink:

some distros consciously stays at the point of old versions of inconsistent major updates like GNOME 40 is

im absolutely sure some leading distros are still provides Gnome 3.x

1 Like

Could this be the same issue and solution by any means?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.