Incorrectly did sudo "$(very bad command)"

Hello!
Sooo, long story short, I did a mistake.
I wanted to delete files on my Windows SSD, but I couldn't delet them, because the drive was in Read-only I guess. So I cd trough the terminal to the SSD folder.
Then did sudo rm /*, which was a big mistake...
After reboot, and selecting Garuda in GRUB, the boot logo turned forever, so, I pressed F2, and found this.

I managed to boot up again trough a timeshift backup, but everytime I reboot, I need to boot to the timeshift backup.

What did you think would happen? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Restore the timeshift snapshot you booted into using Timeshift.

5 Likes

Using snapshots (Timeshift) is a two-step process, detailed here on the wiki

5 Likes

Remove the files inside the Windows SSD into I did cd.

Thank you very much for your help! :heart:

Btw, lmao

:rofl:

5 Likes

Changed the topic title to accurately reflect what happened. Nobody "accidently" uses that command. But this does demonstrate what may happen when it is improperly used. It is dangerous! I note that some forums even ban its posting (not that I agree). :wink:

regards

4 Likes

I have edited the topic title (again) to hopefully not encourage newbs to do this. Monkey see, monkey do. :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

7 Likes

Talk about

sudo rm -rf /

Btw, has anyone ever tried this deliberately? Just curious, :rofl:

I remember watching a video of someone doing it, and they video'd the entire unwinding as files were deleted, and everything became unusable. Pretty interesting. I have a laptop I've almost hit my 1 year mark on (my goal), and it's a Cinnamon install I want to go to KDE on. I may do this just to see all of it's glory.

3 Likes

Yeah - I watched networkchuck bork a vm, using 'the-command-that-shall-not-be-named', as you say - interesting. (for me - scary and makes me read command input a few times :grin: )

1 Like

That was it! I rarely do much more than update anymore. I love this nice solid rolling distro.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.