How to scale displays to 125% or 150%?

I just installed Garuda Linux GNOME and I can't seem to scale my 3 4K screens properly.
In settings they only have 100% 200& and so on. The issue is 100% is way to small for 4K and 200% is way to large. Is there a way I can set my screens to 125% or 150%

1 Like

Short answer: no.

Long answer: yes.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#GNOME

But it's not trivial.

7 Likes

Welcome to Gnome & it's HiDPI crisis.

You can do it in Garuda, but it'll take a little persistence. You'll have to enable Wayland, run the dsettings code, change your display settings. You'll have to swap out Librewolf for Librewolf-Wayland to get rid of the non-blurry font in your browser. You may have to do a little work to find some theming that plays more nicely with Wayland.

Fractal Scaling isn't quite there yet, specifically with Arch Gnome spins.

I'm not trying to turn you away from Garuda, but you may try Manjaro's Gnome spin. It's about as good as it gets & they use a patched mutter derived from Ubuntu. You may have to change a dsetting or an xrandr, but that's about it.

OOTB - Ubuntu is it, and maybe even Fedora.

I also prefer Gnome, but am running Plasma because it's the current gold standard for hi-res screens.

GM

2 Likes

Hi, fractional scaling on X11 Gnome is not limited to Ubuntu or Manjaro. I'm the creator of the Manjaro packages with the Ubuntu patches, which can be used on any arch-based distro . Simply check out my Github and build the package(s) from source as described.

Cheers

6 Likes

Interesting! I've updated the abandoned AUR package with the upstream patch.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Garuda forum @pux .

5 Likes

Hello to everyone and thanks a lot @tbg , i was just sneaking around here cause I missed you guys :wink:

@jonathon
in case you want to maintain the AUR packages, i would also suggest to include gnome-control-center-x11-scaling as it carries relevant gcc patches for proper multi-monitor support and gives the user a easy option to enable/disable fractional scaling in the settings.

4 Likes

Always nice to see old friends pop up here.

Cheers. :+1:

4 Likes

Question: why haven't you pushed your PKGBUILD into the AUR?

If you have an AUR account you can (co)maintain mutter-x11-scaling too?

4 Likes

It basically comes down to having no experience with the packaging process for the AUR.

4 Likes

It's no more complicated than pushing to GitHub. There's an extra command to make the .SRCINFO file (makepkg --printsrcinfo > .SRCINFO) but apart from that it's trivial if you know how Git works.

I'll push gnome-control-center-x11-scaling and then you can see if you want to maintain it. :wink:

5 Likes

Added those to Chaotic-AUR, seems to be handy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am using the kali-6.0 version of the system. I encountered some problems when using gnome-control-center-x11-scaling.
I execute makepkg - srci:

error: libsysprof-capture: signature from "Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <[email protected]>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libsysprof-capture-3.46.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] y

There seems to be a problem installing dependencies.

Please open a new thread for your issue, following the template and posting any relevant details you can. This thread is two years old and unlikely to be related to your issue in a significant way.

1 Like