How to handle minor bugs after system update?

Hello:

Currently running kernel v. 5.10.6-110-tkg-bmq and system is updated to the latest.

Issue: General observation: sometimes after a system update, a couple minor bugs will creep into the system--in this case, causing the speaker to make a 'thump' sound when turned on--something which was not present before the update. Most likely a driver issue.

Solved: if this type of issue was not present before the most recent update, one assumes the update caused it and can be solved by a Timeshift rollback. That's a good thing.

Q: However......does this mean that after every system update which causes issues, you must roll-back to the previous snapshot? Because implied here is that you either have to keep rolling back to fix the issue, or.....wait for a future upgrade to fix it. Right? Or, am I missing something?

Many thanks!

Operating System: Garuda Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.78.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.10.6-110-tkg-bmq
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 6 × Intel® Core™ i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 31.2 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 630

Right. Welcome to software updates.

Any rolling-release distro (which tracks upstream software projects directly) will find more regressions, but fixes by the upstream developers will also reach the distro more quickly.

3 Likes

I have rolled back a few times in the couple weeks I have been using Garuda (my first rolling release). After a rollback I usuall wait a day or two and then upgrade. All my problems have been solved. I think waiting a day or two instead of weeks with some other distros is a great thing.

2 Likes

Exactly. Just what I figured. Thanks.

Wow, I so seldom experience any problems with rolling release. I wonder what your hardware and/or use case exposes?
Usually if I do, I just wait a day or two (like you said) and not worry about any roll back, unless it's serious..certainly not for some little thing.

1 Like

Issue: cheap ass speakers. :smiley:

Mine is usually to do with Nvidia/Kernel TKG drivers. Sometimes a game is working, I do an update and it wont work. I rollback and play the game. A few days later I update and all is good. The last update definitely was a great one. Things are running faster than ever before.

1 Like

Yeah, (at current state of things), if you want to run mostly Linux, don't buy Nvidia.
I hope that will change...but?

1 Like

The worst was AMD RX480 for me. I could not for the life of me get this card to work properly in linux. It always seemed sluggish and lots of issues with screen tearing. Hence I switched to Nvidia (RTX 2060). The drivers and games are just as good if not better than on windows. Wine is still a little slower than running windows games natively. Linux Native games blow the doors off of Windows in the same game.

I am thinking of putting Garuda on that system (I5, AMD RX480 ,16GB ram) just to see how it would work.