/home decryption prompt not shown at startup

It is required every time. Every single time you boot, you need to hit escape to get the prompt.

I don’t understand how it makes any sense to have to hit escape to find a secret prompt on each boot.

It’s not…

Can confirm this in VM.
If it was required to hit escape, I wouldn’t be “on the fence” as to “bug” vs “feature”.

The fact that you must blindly type the password without being prompted is just as much a problem.

2 Likes

This comment is redundant. My VM settings were crap.

Well personally, I'd prefer it to be hidden. I think that'd be cool.

As for my testing (I note again, this is in a virt-manager KVM).

Only "tribar" didn't hide the passphrase prompt.
So far I've tried:
dr460nized
glow
solar
spinfinity
spinner
tribar

With all other settings left default. However none of the splash screen actually "worked". got either blank screen, blue screen or weird screen with funky HUGE cursor.
This is most likely a VM thing. On a none encrypted KVM the splash screen works, however it does take a second to flash around a bit before displaying correctly for a second or two before the DM loads.

1 Like

Here is what I get when I change it to spinner:

glow worked as well.

It seems the issue is with garuda splash screen not supporting the prompt.

4 Likes

Perhaps you are missing support for your graphics in the initram? Are you using qxl or virtio?

1 Like

So, it's my crappy virt setup. Sounds about right.

Having the choice of hidden or displayed prompt would be nice.
By default, having it displayed would fit with standard convention.
QXL, I'm still learning Virt. I only started with it the other day (tried virtio with 3d last night but .. "computer said no").

E2FA: Gosh darn it. With virtio (no 3D) it works.
Oh the usefulness of testing stuff with flawed underlying settings. KMN!

1 Like

Hello again !

I did a clean install with FDE and yes, the passphrase prompt shows as expected before GRUB loading.

However, I hit another reason why not to use FDE and resort to /home encyption only : It seems like the passphrase prompt at startup didn't load any specific keymap, thus resorting to standard qwerty. Having azerty keyboards, I'm quite sure I'll have my share of users not being able to enter their passphrase correclty.

Also, for some reason I can't understand yet, FDE is way, way slower than /home decryption. Granted ther is 30G less in /home encrypted volume, but from 5s to roughly one minute, that's a significant increase for a few Gigs, so I thinks there's an underlying reason I don't get for now.

EDIT : I know that loading a custom keymap into grub is possible, but after having read the numerous wikis and forum posts about that and the sheer complexity, and quite frankly the absurdity of having to deal with that in the first place, I can't consider it a viable option vs resorting to /home encryption alone

It isn’t that FDE is slower, it is that grub is slower because it doesn’t make use of hardware decryption. That has nothing to do with /home vs anything else.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation dalto :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.