Hello from Illinois, USA

Hey everyone, I'm a VERY long time UNIX user (I used to work for SCO) and I have made my career based in RedHat and CentOS doing high capacity webhosting. I have been everything over the years from customer service to a knowledge management director for EIGI.
I used Fedora for years on my workstation but since i've retired (mostly) i have free time, so i was browsing for a new distro and found Garuda.
So far, loving it. Getting out of the "safe space" of the same old red hat stuff has been great for me.
Thanks for having me!
joseph

7 Likes

:wave:,

Feels good to have new old users in the forums :grin:

5 Likes

my first linux kernel used at an ISP i started back in 95 was .65 i think? I went from sco to red hat, shocking.

4 Likes

Too many * abbreviations for me but still a warm welcome to the forum and to Garuda.
I think you will not regret it.

* german newbie :smiley: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums @Stryfe :wave:

2 Likes

Even experienced Arch users may find themselves out of their comfort zone with Garuda. It has some of the best features Linux has to offer. Not to mention the rolling-release model. The key to everything is the package manager, of course, which is Pacman in Arch-based distros.

I think you may find a few 'NIX heads floating around this joint. A lot of us moldy-oldy Linux users, too.

Welcome to the show! :smiley:

My wife’s from central Illinois.

(I love CentOS.)

6 Likes

HOWDY! Really, welcome to Garuda. You are right, I used and installed SCO Unix throughout the 1980's. This is a really good distro.

gary

4 Likes

You could Google it, I suppose, but I first installed at kernel 1.0 (a landmark, which is why I remember it), around then or a little bit later on. I “found” it on a Walnut Creek CDROM. :wink:

5 Likes

SCO is Santa Cruz Operation Unix. OLD school.

3 Likes

Thinking about sco, its' install media was a viper xl 250MB magnetic tape. Ran on only a few scsi controllers at the time, too.