Grub related help

Yes this is probably linked to how the os-prober probes Fedora, and I don't have a clue if and how this can be changed...

I don't think so. Usually updates don't change /etc.

It's necessary to test.
Normally the etc affect that file.
In this case also the os-prober plays a role.
Maybe it will work...

2 Likes

I am taking about

Oh, sorry! My bad.
I thought /etc/grub.d

One thing, I have learned is that 'Arch Linux's grub-btrfs' is still not really that well integrated with BTRFS, at least for now:

• The grub customizer doesn't work
  • auto boot into previously boot OS' --> this also doesn't work

But I was quite impressed with openSUSE's grub (grub-customizer worked flawlessly, and the grub was well integrated with the OS), which too runs BTRFS. may one day Arch Linux's one would do better.
I wonder, if possible our DEVs can have a look here: Search
and check their packages, and integrate their features into ours (since, both are linux) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Given you have already started, why don’t you look and see what the differences are?

This is absolutely nothing to do with grub-btrfs.

1 Like

I was just suggesting.

I don’t know how to :grin:

I 've already told you

And it seems Fedora has modified grub and grub configuration, making their grub incompatible.

The bolder parts above are unique to Fedora.
Check and check yourself, if you disagree and provide links to proof. Further assumptions are just empty of common understanding. :man_shrugging:

I wonder why you don’t ask for assistance from Fedora, since you are a Fedora user as well. Is there any secret answer to this? :thinking:

3 Likes

Two households, both alike in dignity
(In fair Verona, where we lay our scene),
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life;

BTRFS in top-tier Linux distributions is a relatively new and unfolding drama. Trying to make two or more of them to peacefully coexist is a Fool’s errand, IMHO. Not yet.

And what person, Capulet or Montague, needs more than one GRUB?

5 Likes

:grin: :grin: People here are so wonderful, reliable, knowledgeable and I am more comfortable here.
By the way, Garuda is my main OS, I multiboot other OSs, just to learn more about Linux.
Maybe, I will give a try with fedora community

Sorry for my misassumptions, this makes sense.

:+1: thanks

2 Likes

Amen. I’ve never seen such a depth and breadth of Linux knowledge assembled in such a small ‘core’ group.

9 Likes

Is there a solution to this?

Might also be worth you starting to read the available documentation.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Multiple_entries

3 Likes

I had already tried this, that's why I am telling you, it’s not working.
My results:
I had added these parameters to /etc/default/grub :-

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
&
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

But, after reboot, when I boot from any grub entry I get an error: sparse file is not allowed

Then I found an answer to this here(You can check out here),

1 Like

:rofl:

It seems either you haven’t search Garuda forum, or our forum search engine needs overhaul!!

Thanks for providing me 2 minutes of pure laughter!!! :laughing:

2 Likes

@Austin I think this seems to be worth reading.

2 Likes

It’s worth reading but it is completely nonsense in regard to user’s issue. It could be dangerous (broken boot) if used blindly.

It is not needed. That method ADDS ALL Garuda cmdline params to ALL other Linux installations (when booting with Garuda grub).

If OP has applied it and improves his problem, it should be described and explained here. :warning:

You just need to follow this post(just as it is): Dual boot of Linux distros: tweaking grub kernel parameters for the 2nd distro « Metà morfosi

and everything should work fine. :grinning:

I thought it was you with the problem. Now you advise others?

Have you applied this and had a difference?

Post as requested.