Greetings from the Philippines

Thanks developers, I moved from Linux Mint XFCE to Garuda Linux KDE Dragonized last May 2021.

As a backgrounder, I was a big fan of Windows 2000. In fact, I used it until Microsoft discontinued it in 2010. Since then, I became a Linux migrant when I "upgraded" to Kubuntu Linux netbook edition ( those were the days when netbooks were all the hype).

I used that Kubuntu netbook release till 2015, when I moved to Linux Mint XFCE 17.1, 19, and finally 20.1 with then my brand new computer.

That 2015 computer, a dual-core AMD A4-6300 8GB machine has been upgraded to A10-6700 16GB that I am still using now.

After more than 6 years using Linux Mint, I finally made my mind to take a plunge with an Arch-based Linux distro. But I don't have the time to learn the command line wizardry of Arch, hence that was how Garuda Linux entered the picture.

What I love about Garuda Linux is the ease of transition to an Arch-based Linux, with all the benefits of a rolling release distro. Rolling-release distributions provide the user the capability to infinitely update their Linux installation, without reformatting - with all the data, settings and custom configurations intact. Rolling-releases do not have discontinuation date, it just keep itself up to date on user's prerogative. I made my disks images of Garuda, and will never to do another reformat for life.

Right now, it is running smoothly on both my Ideapad320 laptop and my A10-6700. Since I'm now using bleeding-edge distribution that updates quickly, I saw many advantages like improvements with drivers (which made my CS:GO run from 37fps under Linux Mint to 65fps under Garuda Linux using the anemic integrated graphics.)

How I wished Microsoft just kept Windows 2000 alive, not the abomination we now know as Windows 10 and 11. Win2k was the last time Microsoft had not implemented the anti-piracy Windows Activation feature, the last time before updates the UI for the sake of updating the UI without increasing productivity, no spying of users, no data collection and no mandatory antivirus running on the background out-of-the-box.

Too bad here in the Philippines, computer users choose to just pirate Windows instead of just trying Linux if they cannot afford for a license key. Only a few uses Linux as a daily driver in my country. Thank you.

10 Likes