Getting used to Arch

Hey all, I've been poking around Garuda about a month now and have been mostly lurking up until now. I'm on the KDE Dragonized varient, and I have to say that I'm loving it. There were a few expected snags, I've only ever used Ubuntu for a year before switching back to Windows for a few years.

Learning the quirks of Steam libraries and NTFS has been ...fun, and unfortunately I'm not ready to give up Windows yet entirely because Facebook/Quest2. Mumble grumble. I have seen others have some success with GPU pass-through in a Windows VM, but I'm not quite ready to tackle that project yet. I think a second video card was needed? Unsure.

Yesterday I spent nearly the whole day trying to fix TERA on Steam. It brought me full circle, there's barely anything I could find out there, so I experimented and broke proton 3 times. It was maddening! After uninstalling all of wine/proton/steam and clearing all files associated (Save my game library,) and reinstalling clean, I finally ended the day with everything working as before and TERA still being a butt. It will literally launch 1 of 50 times attempted. I'm not asking support for it here, just sharing my experience. I may at a future date with logs and such in another forum, something I'd really like to eventually learn is knowing what to look for and what to do with it.

Anyway, I'm winded. Glad to be here, hope you all are healthy in this crazy climate.

7 Likes

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

btw, you are not running Arch.

You are running Garuda Linux, not Arch. You can trust me on that, I do and so do a few other forum users.

Garuda is almost all Arch, but it is still Garuda. All the bits, pieces, and configurations are put together for you in Garuda and installed using Calamares, a so-called "easy installer."

And there's nothing wrong with that, especially for getting your feet wet in an Arch-based distribution. I can't think of a better Arch-based distribution than Garuda; it's on this machine ATM. But just like when you ran Ubuntu, you didn't run Debian, upon which Ubuntu is based, did you? Same with Arch. Or Garuda.

You have not earned the bragging rights of thinking and telling folks you run Arch; even annoying others with the "btw" stuff. Most of us that have and do use it and that have earned that right, have installed it per the Arch Wiki.

But you can, too, just do what others of us have done. And nowadays, there is even a rudimentary text-based installer built into Arch. Just boot into a Live Arch ISO, connect via LAN (auto), or WiFi (iwctl), type archinstall at the prompt, and follow it down the rabbit hole. Do that successfully--and it is much, much simpler than even 6 months ago--and you have earned the right to call yourself a fledgling Archer.

But that's only the start. Do it by the Arch Wiki and you have proven you can follow good, written, instructions. Maintaining it is demonstrating your diligence. Best advice -- print the Wiki instructions. You won't regret it.

And that is getting used to Arch.
:wink: :smiley: :smiley:
Have a great day! I wish I was just starting of on the solid grounding you are getting. :smiley:

6 Likes

In my opinion, the two most import ways to learn Arch are:

• When you encounter challenges, spend the time learning how to overcome them. Every time you do this, it will get a little bit easier.
  • Read the forums. See the problems other people have and how they were solved.
8 Likes

As a newcomer, I can confirm that.

2 Likes

I agree and to me....that is what draws me to it. I am always trying something new or different out sometimes just to see "what makes it tick". I have somewhat of a mechanical background and I have basically used the same basics back when I started my linux journey..... If you wind up "breaking it" back up, take a look and try to figure it out.

2 Likes

Y-e-a-h, about that. As a life-long disassembler, I recall "improving" many household appliances, clocks, etc. Much of that improving led to leftover parts whose functionality eluded me. My parents tried to steer my interests with Erector sets, and it worked for awhile. A couple of years later they bought me a home Chemistry set, hoping I'd become a scientist of some kind, I imagine.

I didn't burn down the house, but the explosions and noxious fumes emanating from my basement mad-scientist laboratory that one summer incident earned me a one-way early-entry ticket to a military academy for 7th grade. Meanwhile my parents and brother spent a few days in a local motel until the fire dept. investigation concluded and the house got adequately ventilated and de-fumed. I spent the remainder of my junior high and senior high school years at military school.

Since I was forbidden doing certain things by law, I turned to computers. They really didn't think things through.

3 Likes

Hey c00ter, I can relate somewhat…..My Dad used to get bent outa shape because I would take things apart to see how they worked….then of course re-assemble them…sort of :smirk:

1 Like

Hey, if it counts, I have had FreeBSD running on an old dual-cpu board back when I was a teenager, messing around with apache and mysql hosting a webserver. That was a while ago, though, a long while.

2 Likes

funny how time slips away from ya....

2 Likes

As for "earning the right", WHAT does that right get you other than a distro with it's own ego, that does nothing better or with more originality than any other? I use Gardua and that is Arch enough for me. It's stable, predictable, and hasnae put a foot wrong through over 20 updates. I have friends that moved tae Arch, and they've reported no more length, girth, or general magnificence tae their willies. You lot who are Arch worshipers are like Jehovah's Witnesses on ecstasy.

:slight_smile:

BTW, the forum is used by everyone, not only adults.

2 Likes

Please, new users use the

and open new topic :slight_smile: