Getting the bloat straight again

I've been trying out various versions of garuda (dragonized, multimedia, and barebone), and I noticed some VERY unnecessary things. I don't have anything to preinstalled things, except for that crappy minecraft clone and installing all emulators instead of letting people chose them on the gaming edition, I just want to point out that upgrading to Ultimate option installs things you didn't wanted to like VLC.
I'm running barebones edition and everything is perfect, maybe except for missing essentials like partition manager and trash. It also runs way better than dragonized and multimedia combined for some reason, not sure what causes this but my potato is happy.

sudo pacman -R <unwanted_package>

Bloat be gone.

3 Likes

Removing is not the problem, but my whole family uses the same wifi and I don't have the fastest internet on the earth. Plus assistant installing VLC and other things without consent is really annoying

1 Like

Sorry, but Garuda can't do much about your family members that hog your internet bandwidth. Perhaps family counseling might be the cure? :smiley:

6 Likes

Getting rid of them would be the best option, need more sacrifices for doppelgangers tho

1 Like

That's easier said than done. I had to sell my house a year ago, and not let them know where I'd relocated to. That was the only way to get mine out of my hair. :wink:

3 Likes

Strange that you say that, I swore to myself (and for 5 years I've kept that promise) that my father would never know where I lived. So shall it remain.

2 Likes

Oh they know now, but I moved into a small apt temporarily to force them out on their own (after the house was sold). Kinda like the mama bird having to toss the chicks out of the nest to teach them to fly.

That was the only way to reduce the bloat (to keep things on topic).

2 Likes

Hi there,

Well, you should install KDE dr460nized and use setup assistance to install only necessary yhings.

2 Likes

You said you tried Barebones. So keep using it. I do. No bloat whatsoever. :grinning:

I find in Arch-based distros, installing packages is a bit easier than removing them. Make a list of all the packages you need that aren't there in Barebones. Then make a script to install them all. After installing Barebones, run the script and you're good.

2 Likes

I only needed like 5-6 things, I just wanted to bring into dev attention that setup assistance installs things you didn't chose (I chosen Elisa and assistant decided to also install VLC) and dragonized gaming edition size can be cut by removing things that hardly anyone uses

1 Like

There is a Base cli system in comunnity iso profiles

Perhaps before you voice a complaint you should do a little more research. Did you ever think of checking Elisa’s dependencies (VLC is clearly listed). It’s really not that hard, simply check Arch’s package documentation page.

https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/elisa/

3 Likes