Garuda linux laggy perfomance even on SSD

I was looking to migrate from Windows OS to linux and after looking the hype I decided to try Genome Garuda linux.Initially I installed it on seperate hdd.But I was not satisfied with the performance. So I decided to dual boot it on my SSD alongside windows 10.But still I'm having issues.The system is lagging even on SSD. Moreover wifi speed is pathetic when I try to install packages using Add/Remove Genome GUI.Since I'm a newbie I might be doing something wrong that is hurting the performance. Please help me since I really liked the OS but the laggy part is taking out all the fun.

1 Like

It might be a good idea to refresh mirrors using reflector and this Increasing download speed of Chaotic-AUR | Garuda Linux wiki.

Laggy can mean pretty much everything, what exactly do you observe?
Please take a look at the following and post the inxi output here, without information we can only do wild assumptions :thinking:

3 Likes

By lagging I mean the OS is lagging as compared to windows 10 on SSD. Files and packages are opening late as compared to windows 10.I thought that linux is faster than windows and after I installed windows on SSD it's performance went to next level.But didn't happen with Garuda. I thought I would be running a super fast PC.
Also when I initially installed Garuda linux, I used Garuda's Asisstance to install additional packages.(1.1Gb). But after the download completed I did not see any packages installed on the system.

Note:
I ran inxi -Fxxxza cmd and the graphic devices it displayed are:
Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620
Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce MX130]
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2)

Is there anythiing more that I can include?

That's not massively descriptive... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This might indicate there are background processes running. Have you checked the output of top and iotop ? (you will likely have to install iotop first).

Again, more information needed.

3 Likes

Ok, so now I have ran those two commands and a lot of things are going on here. As I mentioned I'm migrating from windows to linux so I don't know how to go about from herre.Should I kill all process or what?

Even if I shutdown and restart the system,the files still don't open as fast as expected.

No.

You should be looking for processes that appear to be taking up a lot of CPU, RAM or IO time.

In which case, buying (or borrowing) a beginners Linux book, or following some online resources, would be a good idea. We can't easily teach you "how to Linux", and Linux certainly isn't a "consumer" OS.

4 Likes

Is there any shortcut to do that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:?

htop ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

1 Like

Apart from looking at the output of those commands? No.

1 Like

Unless your computer is brand new I would also test out a kernel such as linux-lts. Another good choice would be the linux-zen kernel. You can search the forum for information on how to do that as this has been explained many times before.

Also generally, when an inxi output is requested the full output should be posted. The options in the command listed on the Wiki should not oupput sensitive personal info. When someone refuses to post their full inxi when requested I usually suspect them of hiding something such as they don't even have Garuda installed and are simply trolling our forum. :wink:

4 Likes

Yes, Garuda with Gnome will fly on an SSD ... comparatively to Win 10. The entire experience should offer you better overall performance. The exception would be the boot up process, if you chose to encrypt your system during the installation process.

Updates can be optimized easily via the Garuda Welcome app. Search around in there for a section to optimize your software repo mirrors.

You can also try alternative kernels by installing through the Garuda kernel manager.

Are you opposed to installing Garuda as the only system on your machine?

Thanks for the respose everyone.

We're engineers not politicians😁.I know how hard we work our ass off to make people's and our life easier. I'll be the last person to jeopardize reputation of work of people like yours.

Sorry for the late reply but my bootloaders just messed up since I installed Garuda both on my SSD and hdd.
Now the grub bootloader is not working.Reinstalled windows on SSD and Garuda is installed on hdd.I dropped the idea of installing Garuda on SSD as I think it'll give good performance on hdd once I learn how to configure things.
Problem is grub bootloader is not showing for hdd installed Garuda.So should I reinstall it again or can I repair it using Garuda boot repair Gui from bootable USB.
Partition scheme is GPT/UEFI.

1 Like

If above works out I will definitely put it.

Hi Anshul. If you want to get acquainted with a speedy Linux product where you can learn fast, I'd suggest trying Zorin. Garuda is a nice looking distro, and these guys are working super hard on it, but as one of the posts says they are probably not so familiar with Windows as they have left it behind. My experience with Garuda so far is not huge, however Zorin forum does seem to have a very supportive attitude which makes it easier to learn as you go, and they certainly don't tag people's new enquiries as "newbies". The Garuda distro doesn't always install smoothly and it certainly is laggy on some hardware. I have the same experience; it runs slow on my Dell (compared to other distros) and won't install on my Lenova. So far, it hasn't run as quickly as Ubuntu, Mint, or Zorin on any devices I've used it on. After giving Zorin a go, you could return to Garuda and enjoy it's very cool features and presentation.

This would normally not be the case unless you were running Garuda on low spec machines with limited ram. Garuda is not configured or optimized for low spec hardware.

While Garuda is designed to be installed easily by those not familiar with how Linux works, to me it is not a good starter distro for someone new to Linux. I say this not because Garuda is difficult to use, I say this because a rolling distro probably isn't the best choice for the average Linux newcomer.

I'm not saying those unfamiliar with Linux should not use an Arch based distro. However, new users must be willing to learn to master how an Arch based distro works under the hood. User with no desire to learn how an Arch based system works in the long term are probably choosing the wrong distro to start with.

I you are keen to learn, the Garuda forum is very welcoming and you will likely quite enjoy it here. If you are hesitant to do your own research when pointed in the right direction then this forum is also likely not for you. We are always happy and willing to help those willing to help themselves on our forum.Those expecting to be repeatedly spoon fed every answer will likely not enjoy the forums expectations of new users.

IMO It's all in the attitude. If you're willing to learn, you will likely be welcomed with open arms on the Garuda forum and enjoy your stay here.

3 Likes

Hi TBG, Yes, my point exactly, other distros might well be more suited if someone is just starting with Linux. Currently both my laptops have 8Gb of ram, which should be sufficient. I look forward to more interactions with the forum. I do like Garunda, best presentation I've seen thus far, V cool. It's good to see a product which does the job and looks better than traditionally used OS like Word and Mac.

2 Likes

Thought im the only one have laggy performance.. Well im use notebook and its happen so bad when im not plug in my notebook charger, before that its really fine and smooth..

That sounds like power saving being active when you're running on battery?

3 Likes

nope, i already double checked and my power saving isnt active.

1 Like

Same for me too. First, I tried with virtual box with 4GB RAM. It was extremely laggy. Felt like 10-15 fps animations (I don't know why people in this thread don't understand what does lagging mean).
Then installed on my SSD as dual boot. This time little bit better, but still laggy animations. I was searching for solutions and came here.

I have an i7 8th gen, 8gb laptop with 1060 graphics.

I wanted to switch to Garuda only for the looks and unique features, but by looking at the passive aggressive replies to your question I think it might be true that Arch community is egotistical after all.
I will stick to debian for now until I get a beast PC.