Garuda Linux FAQ

This is the official thread for our FAQ, please look here for answers prior to creating a new thread. New questions will be added gradually.

What are the first steps after installing Garuda Linux?

Answer
  • Setting initial mirrorlist
    Open up "Reflector Simple" and make your choices. After testing the servers you will get a fresh mirrorlist.
  • Updating the system
    Its a simple as opening the terminal and typing "sudo pacman -Syu". You will also find a shortcut to a GUI tool called Pamac in the startmenu which serves the same purpose.
  • Setting the terminal shortcut for updating mirrorlist and system at the same time
    Open the file ~/.zshrc (you can do this via GUI or opening the terminal and typing "micro .zshrc") and find an alias called "#upd=...". Remove the "#" and change the options to fit your location and preferences. Now close the editor and type zsh to apply the change.
  • Downloading language packs
    Some applications got language packs which are separated from the main application
    (Firefox, Libreoffice, etc..). Usually you are required to download them manually however Garuda Linux is shipping the Garuda settings manager for that purpose. You will find a language pack option where you can select which language packs you want to download.
  • Setting the terminal theme
    Garuda Linux is shipping with the Powerlevel10k zsh theme which makes working with the terminal easier. To set it up simply launch the terminal and answer the question of the setup wizard. Make sure to press yes until the actual theme choices pop up (the needed patched font is already included).

Why does logging in not work?

Answer
  • The newest packages pam and pambase seem to be buggy still. This can be fixed by downgrading both packages to previous versions.
    Open the terminal and type the following:
    sudo pacman -S downgrade
    sudo downgrade pam (select 1.3.1-2)
    sudo downgrade pambase (selecting 20190105.1-2)
  • Add the packages to /etc/pacman.conf (IgnorePkg = pam pambase), this can be done easily by pressing yes while downgrading
  • Also you can try removing the guest account
    sudo pacman -R systemd-guest-account

Booting the ISO takes ages and wont finish! (I Have NVIDIA Hardware)

Answer
  • Select the driver = free option in the bootloaders menu for now. There are some kernel issues which need to be fixed by the developers.

The NetworkManager doesnt start automatically after booting even though its enabled by "sudo systemctl enable --now NetworkManager"?

Answer
  • Try editing /etc/nsswitch.conf:
    sudo micro /etc/nsswitch.conf
    Remove "systemd" from the lines containing passwd and group
  • Reboot and have NetworkManager working as expected

The idle RAM usage is pretty high, how to I reduce it?

Answer
  • Its widely known that unused RAM is wasted RAM nowadays. In Garuda we use some performance tweaks that might increase RAM usage while improving performance such as systemd-swap.
  • Generally you dont have to worry about this. If you still want to save some RAM you can try disabling systemd services you dont use. This can be done by opening the terminal and typing "sudo systemctl disable --now" and pressing tab instead of enter. It will show you all active services which you can then disable. An example is bluetooth, not everyone uses bluetooth so the service could safely be disabled.

What is the recommended partition layout for the installation?

Answer
  • If you want a complete BTRFS setup you will have to create one big BTRFS partition ("erase entire disk" in Calamares) since BTRFS will create subvolumes which are almost like different partitions.
  • If there are multiple disks used in your setup install Garuda to the first disk, then reboot and add the remaining disks via "btrfs device add /dev/sdb /home/sdb" for example.
  • After that balance the filesystem using "btrfs filesystem balance /"

A system upgrade broke everything! Panic!

Answer
  • No worries.
    Reboot into the bootloader (GRUB) and select "timeshift snapshots".
    Now boot the last working snapshot by selecting it and pressing enter twice.
  • Once booted open up Timeshift and restore the last working snapshot.
  • Reboot and you are done.

Newly installed applications dont show up in the Wayfire edition!

Answer
  • Open the terminal and type killall "wf-panel && wf-panel &" to make them show up without having to restart the pack

How to get checksums and keys of the downloaded isos?

Answer

How do I change the background in the Wayfire edition?

Answer
  • To change the wallpaper we have to edit ~/.config/wf-shell.ini
    micro ~/.config/wf-shell.ini
    Find the line "image" in the [background] block and change the path to match your wallpaper

I have a high resolution monitor and things dont look pretty, what do I do?

Answer
  • We have made things easy and added a toggle for HiDPI mode in the Garuda welcome app. Find it in the settings tab!

My vulkan installation is not recognized by Lutris! What should I do about it?

Answer

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vulkan#Nvidia_-_vulkan_is_not_working_and_can_not_initialize

How do I take screenshots easily?

Answer
  • Most editions ship Flameshot as screenshot utility.
    Print = Screenshot all screenshots
    Print + Shift = Select the area you want to screenshot via drag & drop
    Print + Alt = Only screenshot the window under the cursor

There is feature X which isnt included, will you add it?

Answer
  • Probably, if it makes sense and we are able to implement it.
  • You are free to make suggestions on how to do this.

How can I support this project?

Answer
  • For now, the best way to support Garuda Linux is by spreading the word and recommending it to other people.
  • Donations are not needed right now.
  • Another nice way to help Garuda Linux is to leave a review at Distrowatch

Where do I get answers to questions not answered in this FAQ?

Answer
6 Likes