Garuda KDE Dragonized 210102 Boot failure

Hi everybody,

I have a Problem booting the above mentioned ISO. I can see in the boot messages that several ZRAM devices are created but finally I get the following error messages:

[FAILED] Failed to activate swap SWAP Block/Partition.
[FAILED] Failed to start Manage Swap spaces on zram, files and partitions ..

Thanks in advance for any help.

MOD

Did you try:

swapon

Hi,
thanks for help.
Yes it is possible to change the console and the weapon command does not bring up any fault s. But still I have no graphical interface and I am not able to bring it up.

MOD

Has your PC minimum requirements?
Look at

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for your help. Yes, it has the minimum requirements. It is a
Ryzen 5950X, 64 GB, RTX 3080

Thanks.
By the way is there a possibility to get the old ISO-Files? I Know that these were booting fine.

MOD

No, not needed for rolling release.

So, where you got my CPU from? :wink:

Its very new, I think you must wait a little that the kernel fit this beast :slight_smile:

Ah, wait, boot from grub with free driver, later change to nvidia driver 455.45.01

Hi, No it ist my CPU, it was quite hard to get one :slight_smile:

I don't think the CPU is to new, the current kernel should be able to handle the beast :slight_smile:

As I already said the last version of Garuda of December last year was working well. But this one I am not able to get into the Live-System.

I just tried with the free-drivers, but I had no success. Still the problem with the ZRAM. After this th system tried to Finish the LiveMedia MHWD Script. But this also takes a long time.

No I have "Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen" and that's it.

MOD

Muss ich halt den 3970X nehmen :wink: :rofl:

I mean kernel and nvidia didn't work together.
Maybe @librewish knows more about or can build ISO with an older kernel.

Moin,

ja das musst Du dann wohl ... :slight_smile:

Ok, this could be one reason.

MOD

There was a bug about multiple core CPUs. I don't know if it's the same issue, but you may try...
Try booting editing parameters in GRUB menu (press E to edit).
Add this param at the line starting with linux

zram.num_devices=2
2 Likes

Hi,
this does not do the trick. I have less ZRAM-Disks but I am not able to reach the graphical interface.

Thanks for your help

Some other ideas?

MOD

What about swap spaces?

Is the error/failure still the same or changed?

2 Likes

Hi,
Hope I understand what you would like to know:

I have the same error but less disks the system try to ?create?. And still the system is reaching the point: The system tried to Finish the LiveMedia MHWD Script. But this also takes a long time.
The last line I see during boot is "Starting terminate Plymouth Boot Screen" and then it stops. I can switch to another console, but I'm not able to bring up a graphical interface. But I can activate the ram-devices by swapon.

startx => fatal server error: no screens found
startplasma-wayland: kills the system, need to reset.
systemctl start sddm: nothing happens

If any information is needed, please give me a hint.

Thanks for your assistance.

MOD

2 Likes

Since you can access a TTY, you can sort of troubleshoot.
Check

systemctl --failed
journalctl -p3
systemctl status sddm
1 Like

Don’t use wayland with plasma try using X.

Also the kernel in use could be a big part of the issue.

Test:

linux
linux-mainline
linux-lts
linux-hardened
linux-zen

Hi,
I just searched a bit, and I think the kernel and the Nvidia-Driver gives me this problems.

─garuda at garuda-dr460nized-gaming in ⌁
╰─λ mhwd -li
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/chaotic-nvidia-dev-dkms-tkg/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/chaotic-optimus-manager-dev-tkg/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/chaotic-optimus-manager-tkg/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-amd-chaotic-nvidia-dev-dkms-tkg-prime-render-offloading/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-amd-nvidia-dkms-prime-render-offloading/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-chaotic-nvidia-dev-dkms-tkg-prime-render-offloading/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-dkms-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-dkms-prime-render-offloading/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-390xx-dkms/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-dkms/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/optimus-manager/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-340xx-dkms-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-340xx-dkms/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/network_drivers/r8168/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           video-linux            2020.12.03                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

But I might be worn but for me it means I have to wait for a new install image or try to find a old one.

Thank you all for the help.

MOD

Please, follow previous given advice, if you want help from the forum.
And edit your post with terminal output to format as … terminal output. (pre-formatted text, Ctrl+Shift+C).

Have you updated your packages?
Have you followed Wiki for what you need to do on first run?

Hi,
maybe I am wrong but I thin you missed that I am not able to boot into the Live-Environment. Based on this I have no possibilities to test another Kernel or to install the system. This is why I asked for an old ISO, because with this ones I was able to install. And I think this could also help me to find out what is going wrong.

Maybe we misunderstood each other, I highly appreciate the effort you have taken so far.

MOD

1 Like

This means you have booted. Not having a GUI/Xorg working is not an inactive system.
You can gather information from your running system.
Run the commands I suggested in the console/TTY, after login with ISO credentials (garuda/garuda).