Garuda doesn't work when installed as a second distro after fedora

Metadata:
Image: KDE Dragonized gaming edition
SSD: Samsung evo 970 evo plus

Hi.
I want to install garuda as second distro after my fedora 34.

During the installation I tried two options: "replace partition" and manual installation (assigning / and setting the boot flag)
Both doesn't work

After installing it, the garuda-option doesn't show up in grub unless I update grub in fedora (I update it with several commands sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg and sudo grub2-mkconfig -o "$(readlink -e /etc/grub2.conf)").
After updating, 3 options appear in grub — garuda and two garuda linux-zen

After selecting any of the three options, a black screen is displayed on all my monitors instead of entering the system. Tried waiting 30 minutes (twice), but to no avail.

Searched the forum/google and didn't found solutions or similar problems.

Can you please tell me what the problem could be.

1 Like

As far as I can say, multibooting will not be officially supported (although someone might help, I think there are others multibooting with Fedora) and this thread is an example (check the end)

1 Like

You UEFI is probably set to boot Fedora's grub by default. Fedora's grub/os-prober doesn't support Arch-based distros.

You can switch to using Garuda's grub by default using efibootmgr or by changing the default in your BIOS. Or you can tweak Fedora's grub to support an Arch-based distro.

See this topic for more information:

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips!
I can't check today, but I'll try tomorrow and will definitely write back about my progress

2 Likes

I decided to install rEFInd before debugging and noticed that when I ( for the first time after installing) tried to start in garuda, an error text message appears for a second

I didn't have time to write it down, but on the last line of text I remembered

---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I found a similar message with a similar error
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=234950

Before I continue debugging, I will make some full backups.

Just in case :slightly_smiling_face:

Refind should be able to boot garuda's grub. That is probably better in this case than trying to direct boot it.

is it different btrfs partitions, or the same ? if the same, what are your subvolumes for fedora and garuda ?

I am trying a hard drive with windows 11, MXlinux and Garuda.
I first installed windows than Garuda
that worked great.
i than install MX Linux, That screwed up Garuda. Meaning i was not longer an option to boot to it.
Since I am new at linux, I simply re-install Garuda on the same partition
and all 3 OS are working perfect.
so What i learned is that garuda should be install last

Quite right!

If you already have a Garuda installation and want to install a different distribution, you only need to update the Garuda GRUB. With it, you can boot all bootable systems in the nicest GRUB window.

1 Like

Isnt refind only for macs?

No, it isn't.

Oh. well I messed up, I guess thats why the dualboot i am making (For adobe) it wont work, I installed it from mac lol.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.