Metal Slug 2 and 3 and X
One Shot and One Shot: Fading Memory
Call of Duty Black Ops 3
Saint Seiya: Soldiers’ Soul
Medieval Dynasty
Bright Memory: Infinite
Double Dragon Trilogy
Baseball Stars 2
Elden Ring (it was playable on the Steam Deck on Day 1)

3 Likes

So Valve who made the steam deck and proton supported elden ring before non steam deck users?

1 Like

Yes but it is complicated. You could run ER on desktop linux before Deck şaunch but there were many problems like crashes, EAC not working which affected only a part of the players. Steam Deck and SteamOS happens to be unaffected by these problems.

2 Likes

So it worked on any device day 1 as long as you used steam os on your pc? Makes sense I guess. Am curious what is special about steamos to avoid that though

1 Like

Handy new feature from ProtonUp-QT....

2 Likes

Halo Infinite started working overnight...

2 Likes

Say what you want about Steam and Valve, they are shaking that thing and bringing linux to the yard with Steam Deck. :cow2: **also, Arch #1!!!

So you can pretty plainly see that the Steam Deck with SteamOS is already rising up the ranks, as one of the most popular Linux gaming systems on Steam's survey with it already making up well over 7% of Linux players which is a nice increase from the 5% from May 2022.

3 Likes

imho, I think Linux needs more successful uptake in oem laptops and desktops to really take off. I think Tuxedo, System76, and others are doing a great job at that, just as the devs behind Garuda, EndevourOS, and ElementaryOS have realised that the average PC user experience at the OS level is key. And they continue to do an amazing job and getting the OS to just work to a point that the average user doesn't even think about the OS.

As strange as it may sound, the average PC user (and 80%+ of PC gamers are in this camp even if they think overclocking their CPUs and GPUs makes them experts) doesn't build their own PCs or install their own OS, they buy from a store and use the OS that comes with the PC. They don't tinker or even care to know how the OS works. More technical users can do the usual stuff but the key demographic for linux market share growth is the average non-technical PC user.

I have friends who are a life long Mac users and I showed them System76 desktops and they loved their look. One of them got a laptop and installed elementaryOS on it to replace Windows which was really slowing down the laptop. None of them are PC gamers but could do 98% of everything they used their computers for on linux, they just had never seen or played around with a linux-based PC before.

This is where companies like System76 come in and why what Valve has been doing for years now from the old steam machines and steam OS to proton and now the deck is really important for Linux to grow. I can actually imagine Garuda partnering with people like Tuxedo to have laptops ship pre-installed with Garuda just like they do with elementary, Manjaro and others.

6 Likes

Some gaming goodies....

Heroic Games Launcher 2.4.0 brings numerous major upgrades, including:

• GOG Cloud Save support
  • Epic overlay support
  • EAC and BattleEYE runtime
  • Anti-cheat information on the game page
  • Add game shortcut to Steam option
5 Likes

Between 2022-09-07 and 2022-09-14 there were 25 New Steam games released with Native Linux clients. For reference, during the same time, there were 238 games released for Windows on Steam, so the Linux versions represent about 10.5 % of total released titles. Here’s a quick pick of the most interesting ones

Two very popular open source compatibility layer projects from developer 'GloriousEggroll' are out now, with updates to both GE-Proton and Wine-GE-Proton too.

Isonzo is the latest in the WW1 FPS series from the creator of Verdun and Tannenberg. It's out now and available with Native Linux support.

Longtime open-source Linux graphics driver developer and DRM subsystem maintainer, David Airlie of Red Hat, took the stage at Linux Plumbers Conference today to talk about Nouveau and the state of the open-source NVIDIA Linux driver.

4 Likes

Nvidia 520.56.06 + DXVK 2 => Bye bye stutter :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also to note, GOG is having a huge RPG sale going on right now. So, if you are reading this wearing a wizard's hat, check it out. 🧙‍♂

3 Likes
5 Likes

Witcher fans rejoice....

2 Likes

I just got finished replaying this. Can i seriously force myself to play it again?:joy:

1 Like

Yes you can! Why? Because this time, it will be 'Next-Gen'!!! Who the 'F' knows what that means, but it is going to be great.

While the devil’s horns
Minced our tender meat
And so cried the Witcher
He can’t be bleat.

Toss a coin to your Witcher!
O’ Valley of Plenty
O’ Valley of Plenty
O’

Damnit you dick I just that song out of my head

1 Like

Some Gaming Goodies.... :video_game:

Also, big event for Witcher fans tomorrow....

1 Like

Oh yeah, and this going on right now...

3 Likes