Flickering and unbootable laptop with 5.19.12-zen-1

No reason to shout! Snapshots are fine, although I rarely use them myself—I’m more of a rescue media guy. :wink: Proper backups should be valued over snapshots as well.

In my experience, not often but I’ll see issues like this crop up in the forums from time to time. It’s an edge distro, so…:man_shrugging:

As you get further from the edge you tend to see this kind of problem hitting the everyday users less often. On a Debian system, upgrading to an unbootable kernel is practically unheard of, even on Sid (the so-called “unstable” rolling branch).

If you keep your ear to the ground you can pick up on issues like this in the forums before taking an update and hold off until the dust settles. This particular issue came up in the Framework forum here: PSA: don't upgrade to linux kernel 5.19.12 - Linux - Framework Community and in the Arch forum here: linux-zen 5.19.12.zen1-1 makes my laptop unusable [5.19.13 fixes it!] / Kernel & Hardware / Arch Linux Forums and here is the bug report: FS#76074 : Screen stop showing after update to 5.19.12.arch1-1 kernel

It’s fine to just wait for an upstream fix, or use a different kernel for a while. A partial upgrade should be avoided at all costs.

The Nvidia thing is obviously something else. Those GPUs seem like a curse, frankly.

1 Like