Failed to many errors to update

Seems OK! :slight_smile:
I don't see any specific error message (but I'm doing my best to go blind today :wink:).
I think you'll have some maintenance to do (lots of orphaned packages and pacnew files), but I think you're done! :+1:

2 Likes

OMG so sorry thanks so much for straining your eyes lol Fantastic hmm maintenance thats sounding scary .

2 Likes

Now that the problem is solved, let me just take the chance to recap a few things I noticed reading the thread and the "bin".

So this weeks update of the pacman is upd
No, upd is only an "alias", i.e. every time you launch it, it is "exploded" into:
sudo reflector --country Germany --latest 5 --age 2 --fastest 5 --protocol https --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && cat /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && sudo pacman -Syu
This means it:

• refreshes your mirrorlist
  • shows (cat) you your new mirrorlist
  • runs the old good sudo pacman -Syu
    So it is a good practice to use it, but you have to know what you do :slight_smile:

I see you tried once:
sudo pacman -U package_name.pkg.tar.zst
Of couse, package_name had to be replaced there with the local package you wanted to install :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OMG im in Australia do i need to change the mirror list to my country .Thankyou for taking the time out to help me the more i think im learning,i find out im still in a diaper lol i think if this gets any more complicated i think i will back pedal to linux lite maybe.are the updates the same on the lite systems.?

1 Like

Well, deciding between a fixed release and a rolling release distro is something to be considered carefully (based on your usage needs and personal goals).
In the first case you will certainly have stability: few updates and few surprises (everything is much more tested).
But do you want to put the "taste" of always trying something new and especially learn from the problems that arise? :slight_smile:
For me it's all about practice (70%?), curiosity / willingness to learn by yourself (20%?) and why not a little bit of "discipline" (10%?).
I'm sure who is writing you is one of the less experienced people here (also among those who just try to help, without being mod or dev, I mean of course) but, believe me, with the mix above (percentages aside) I always manage to solve my problems through forum searches and reliable sites (Arch Forum and Wiki on top) and I almost never have to ask for help.
For me it's always just a matter of not panicking and getting in the learning mood. :wave:

3 Likes

Thanks very much mate i find it very difficult to find answers even with Arch Wiki.I am almost 57 and im at the age i want stability lol Years ago when i was young i learnt how to use a pc from researching the web .Now i am tired to learn well i have an eye disease and when i have to search this and that i get annoyed and just want it to run smooth.I like this distro but i might have to go to a make the switch to a fixed distro that has less research .Your information is awesome and thanks so much for taking the time to help a half blind old fart. :eyes: :eyes:

1 Like

No, you don't need it luckily.
I just copied the alias from a previous message but now from gitlab (I'm not on my Garuda atm) I see:
alias upd='sudo reflector --latest 5 --age 2 --fastest 5 --protocol https --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && cat /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && sudo pacman -Syu && fish_update_completions && sudo updatedb'
No reference to the country, I guess Germany is only a suggestion for the most, because has fast mirrors...
Cheers.
Nice to help you, you have my brother's age (I'm 50 btw...) and I never managed to convince him to even go for Linux (whatever the distro)...

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.