External USB not shown in Select Storage Device (Install issue)

Hi,

I have booted into Garuda Dragonized version via a bootable USB & when I am trying to install into another external USB drive, in the Partitions section as shown in Link the Select Storage device drop-down list does not show my usb drive on which I want to install it.

May I know what I need to do so that the external USB drive shows up in the list, so I can install on the external USB.

I don't know the exact reason for this to happen, but I can imagine that if you booted in EFI mode, the system shows only EFI formatted disks in that selection box.
Anyway, I just wanted to warn that I remember several posts, where installation onto external/removable disk was very complicated. I guess it requires an additional parameter (--removable) at grub installation, otherwise, since the disk UUID might change, you could face problems over time.

1 Like

Is the USB drive visible/recognized in Dolphin or GParted?
Check with one of these

sudo fdisk -l
sudo parted -l
lsusb
4 Likes

I don't think you can install the OS onto a external disk which is non SATA

or can you? someone please enlighten me(not in a rude way)

I opened Dolphin & clicked on the drive where I want to install, it gives an error:
An error occurred while accessing 'linuxDistro'. the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sde2 at /run/media/garuda/linuxDistro: Unknown error when mounting /dev/sde2

Note: linuxDistro is the drive name which I have given for my external USB

I tried -

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sde2 

Response for the above:

─λ sudo ntfsfix /dev/sde2
Mounting volume... OK
Processing of $MFT and $MFTMirr completed successfully.
Checking the alternate boot sector... OK
NTFS volume version is 3.1.
NTFS partition /dev/sde2 was processed successfully.

It returns a message saying was processed successfully but it still gives an error when I try clicking on the drive.

Added: When I use
sudo parted -l
for this USB under flags it is blank, but for the other USB drives which show up I notice msftres & msftdata flags. Dont know if this gives any indication.

Post input and output of this (in text)

Do you know what is in the disk?
If you don't want anything from inside it, use gparted to create a new partition table.

2 Likes

I am using this external USB drive exclusively to install Garuda Linux.

The output of sudo parted -l as below

╭─garuda@garuda in ~ 
╰─λ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA Samsung SSD 850 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 250GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    File system  Name                          Flags
1      1049kB  473MB  472MB   ntfs         Basic data partition          hidden, diag
2      473MB   577MB  104MB   fat32        EFI system partition          boot, esp
3      577MB   593MB  16.8MB               Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
4      593MB   250GB  249GB   ntfs         Basic data partition          msftdata
5      250GB   250GB  552MB   ntfs                                       hidden, diag

Model: Seagate Backup+ Hub BK (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 4001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                          Flags
1      17.4kB  134MB   134MB                Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
2      135MB   4001GB  4001GB  ntfs         Basic data partition          msftdata

Model: WD My Passport 0740 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdd: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
1      2387MB  2391MB  4194kB  primary               esp
2      2392MB  212GB   210GB   primary  ntfs
3      212GB   500GB   288GB   primary  ntfs

The WD My Passport is the external drive on which I am planning to install. I have 2 partitions on it.
(Note: I removed another external drive, so the disk is now /dev/sdd instead of /dev/sde)

Then you have to re-partition the drive with GPT, so you can install in UEFI mode.
An esp flag on an msdos/MBR partition has no real meaning.

4 Likes

The WD passport drives use their own proprietary software to format these drives in a non-standard manner. These drives can cause nothing but issues.

The first thing I always do with one of these drives if I want to use it with Linux is nuke all the WD created partitions using dd. Do yourself a favor and do not format any partitions as NTFS, it is not a good file system for use with Linux.

4 Likes