Expanding system partition

Hello, basically I didn't had plans to work on Linux based systems and only required it for some coding works. After a year of being on Linux- I don't boot into windows 99.9% of times. I originally have a 60 gb partition. I would like to expand it to 100 gb. I have 40 gb free space partition but I am not able to "resize" the garuda partition.
Maybe I am just not doing it the good way- Guidance please :grinning:

Essentially, boot the live installer environment and use GParted to extend the root partition.

6 Likes

Ok I'll try that in a moment

You cannot edit the partition you are currently using.
Therefore, you have to proceed as @Jonathon described, or you use a different partition, if one exists.

2 Likes

I am in live boot currently and still cannot. What now :thinking:

If you see a lock icon next to a partition, it means that partition is currently mounted and cannot be resized. To unmount it, just right-click on it and select Unmount. The lock should then disappear allowing you to modify the partition.

3 Likes

Nope no lock icon and it is already unmounted. Btw I am using the gnome-disks. Is gparted necessary?

To be honest I've always used GParted, I don't know much about Gnome-disks, but it should work in the same way.
Maybe you could give Gparted a try...

3 Likes

You know what- Gparted worked!

PS: For anyone booting with live boot- While trying to install Gparted from pacman -S command, it will try to update the whole system (1GB+). You can git clone and install it that way (aur packages basically), so it would only install Gparted thats it!

Thanks for the help guys :v:

3 Likes

Nice that you describe your solution. That can be very valuable for other users!

2 Likes

That's weird - pacman won't update packages unless you tell it to.

Also, if GParted isn't included by default (I thought it was) then it might be worth including.

7 Likes

Yep, gparted should be there!

2 Likes

Gparted is there in some versions, like in Cinnamon, XFCE, Mate etc. But not in dr460nized and some others.

5 Likes

It's not an affair at all, as long as you can install gparted with pacman or pamac.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.