Everything freezes!

Pls help me with this, I don't know what's happening, my laptop freezes after use of 5-10 mins. Everything just stops , even the cursor get stuck on the screen. I am using external mouse and keyboard which also stops working. I'm typing this message with the same laptop, I don't know when it will freeze again,, pls tell me how to fix this !!

Personal advise

Don't use your laptop on surfaces like on your bed, where it gets heated.

Heating laptop :fire: actually freezes it :cold_face:

1 Like

noo It's not getting heated,, my laptop is placed on a laptop stand which don't block the battery side of the laptop,, I mean,, everything is cool is doesn't get heated

First of all, I'd try to restore the last working snapshot (if this started today, or at a point in time you can remember).
Then, I'd try to see how it goes with some other kernels.

3 Likes

ohh yeahhh I remember, I installed some updates and after that this problem is happening, okay, I'll restore the snapshot that was took before the upgrade, I'll report to u if everything is fine or if the problem is still there ...

Read

please
and post

inxi -Fza

as text!

Even if you personally think it is unnecessary.

3 Likes

Try also to retrieve (e.g. via pacman log) what was updated.
Maybe you could spot the "guilty" one and block it from updates for a while...

2 Likes

If you think it might be overheating open a terminal and type "sensors" you mite see if your temps are spiking.

2 Likes

it shows this :

λ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0: +58.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0: +56.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1: +56.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

nvme-pci-0200
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite: +31.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +78.8°C)
(crit = +83.8°C)
Sensor 1: +31.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

BAT0-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
in0: 12.13 V

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1: +58.0°C (crit = +127.0°C)

is everything fine in this ??

A little high but ok.
What are you doing when it freezes?

1 Like

I switch everything off from the power button !! (power button on the keyboard, not the shut down option in power options)

Sorry I meant what are you doing before it freezes

1 Like

just regular works like browsing

ok can you post

and is it only when you are browsing?

2 Likes

I think it got fixed by itself ,, since I restored the snapshot which was taken before the last upgrade!! the system use to freeze every 5-7 mins but its been like 20 min since I restored the snapshot and now everythings working fine

1 Like

heyy u were right!! I think there was some problem with updates,, since I restored the "before upgrade" snapshot ,, everything's working normal like before!

1 Like

Personally I think you'll still want to track down the culprit. Since a rollback seems to have solved your issue it looks to be software related. Myself I'd all ow the updates again and before applying them copy and save all the terminal text. Do the updates and see if the problem reoccurs or not. A lot of the time the issue won't reoccur, but if it does you at least have a list of what was updated in text you saved so there is more info to work with. I'd also still post my inxi -Fza just in case.

6 Likes

I think somethings is happening!! I restored the snapshot which was taken before the update, now when I type pacman -Syu to update, it says :

Synchronizing package databases…
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
chaotic-aur is up to date
blackarch is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade…
there is nothing to do

how ?

Did you follow the procedure?

1. Pick snapshot from GRUB