Chaotic-AUR | Packages | Requests | Recompilation | Reports

You should know that I am adventurous and do not shy away from risks. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As long as the Benz rests in the garage.

2 Likes

That is sensible.

2 Likes

I apologize for the chat approach. That should not be.

2 Likes
My 2c (i'm a bit protective of riseup):

Riseup is a small donation dependent not-for-profit collective with limited resources. I have a lot of respect and gratitude for what they do. But recommending or promoting their services to a broader audience may harm them. It may place an unsustainable burden on them financially or negatively effect the quality of service if too many new users were to join without understanding that the services they use require resources and are dependent on voluntary donations (they charge $0 and estimate running the VPN costs $60 per user per year). I would at the very least check with them, before promoting them in any public way.

An alternative to look into (with a less delicate business/funding model) is AirVPN. They have supported linux for many years (they have their own linux client and support network-manager intergration). They support a range of open source and internet freedom projects (including several linux distros, Tor, OpenBSD, OpenNIC, The EFF, and Riseup.net). They primarily rely on the OpenVPN protocol and are considering adding support for Wireguard (both of which are open source). They have a fairly active forum, and compared to other VPNā€™s Iā€™ve used they seem to actually devote some time and effort to linux users (in part because they began as an activist focused organization serving more serious users more likely to be using privacy focused linux distributions (like Tails).

Probably its better not to promote any of these services in any official way, but if one were to be promoted, I think promoting one which would benefit/could handle the promotion would be better than promoting a service which might be harmed by it (at least not without getting their consent first)

4 Likes

Now I understand why it took you so long to send.
Well researched!

4 Likes
  1. riseup-vpn (a great easy to use VPN)

2. flightGear (A wonderful open-source promising Flight simulator, which growing day-by-day, and might one day be at par with Microsoft Flight Sim -a must-try project.
               By the way, it is increasing in popularity day by day)

3. flightGear-data (Important Dependency of the above)

4. flightGear-git

5. flightGear-data-git

6. simgear (Important Dependency of the above)

7. simgear-git

8. plib (Important Dependency of the above)
  1. Riseup-vpn do not officially support Arch Linux.
  2. To 8. They also do not officially support Arch Linux.

Our servers are not there to support the games/ software you like, unless they are really necessary.

3 Likes

But every distro I have used (except arch-based) has Flightgear, it's not that I only like it, I am telling you it's getting popular day-by-day. It's just a fantastic project, and I think Garuda should include it in their repositories.

At least you can include riseup-vpn, anyone who wants to use a VPN, it's a great choice and you can with a click of a mouse. I use this VPN from the AUR it works flawlessly, but it just takes some time to install.

The same is with Flightgear, it is in the AUR, works out-of-the-box, but takes some time to install. If you doubt Flightgear please do check it out yourself.

It is a humble request, and it would benefit the community. Trust me it would be worth it.

Thanking you

Regards

Having in AUR doesnā€™t mean that it works fine on Arch. Also, I again say that we have finite resources. We canā€™t host every ā€œfamousā€ or ā€œPopularā€ software on AUR, unless it is really necessary.

I would say if any other dev is interested in above packages, I donā€™t have any problem. But I canā€™t add it to our repo.

7 Likes

While 'having it in the repo' can be a bit of an advantage for a prospective user, it is not quite as trivial as perhaps you assume. First off, the package must be built, and checked. Then - it must be tracked for changes, and rebuilt as needed. THEN it must propagated across all the mirrors, and again for each change found in each package. Oh - and testing its function as well.

Just a perspective from a mirror-runner! :grin:

7 Likes

Perhaps if there were a hundred other users such as @freebird54 who generously offered to setup and host a Chaotic mirror out of the goodness of his heart it would be easier to fill these requests.

Mostly though we just see users expecting more from the distro who wish to give nothing back in return.

In addition to what @freebird54 already stated there is the added issue of package security. Every time you add extra software as a prebuilt package you are taking a risk that someone has injected malicious code into the software.

The distro cannot review every line of code in every package update, so it is best to keep the precompiled software limited to what is actually required.

11 Likes

yeah, now that I gave it a thought we probably shouldn't give them too much attention without mentioning that they need donations too

3 Likes

What do you think about adding linux-tkg-pds kernels in chaotic-aur?I am asking because I heard that the pds kernels are better for performance and it would be a good addition to a distributions mainly focused on performance. (Also because I can't compile them myself because KDE automatically logs out while I am in the middle of compiling for some reason)

You can prevent this by just clicking on the Battery and Brightness icon and then disabling Allow automatic sleep and screen locking.

3 Likes

I did, it seems that that is not the problem as it logs out while compiling the kernel even while I am watching youtube and using the PC

1 Like

Relevant:

7 Likes

Oh, so that's why they are missing. It's cool to see two schedulers unite. Usually it's about forks, not merge

3 Likes

Just a question but can you add SierraBreezeEnhanced and McMojave Themes IDK if you can because they are not in AUR but this has been done bofore with old kde multimedia.

McMojave-KDE-Theme

SierraBreeze - K-Win Decoration

:wink:

1 Like

@dr460nf1r3 Can you add those to repo?