Everything About Packages

After looking a little harder at the KDE package list...

"Upgrade to ULTIMATE: Do you want to install additional KDE components and applications?"
"Do you want to install additional KDE components and applications?"
bluedevil
breeze
breeze-gtk
drkonqi
kactivitymanagerd
kde-cli-tools
kde-gtk-config
kdecoration
kdeplasma-addons
kgamma5
khotkeys
kinfocenter
kmenuedit
kscreen
kscreenlocker
ksshaskpass
ksysguard
kwallet-pam
kwayland-integration
kwayland-server
kwin
kwrited
libkscreen
libksysguard
milou
oxygen
plasma-browser-integration
plasma-desktop
plasma-disks
plasma-firewall
plasma-integration
plasma-nm
plasma-pa
plasma-systemmonitor
plasma-thunderbolt
plasma-vault
plasma-workspace
plasma-workspace-wallpapers
polkit-kde-agent
powerdevil
systemsettings
colord-kde
appmenu-gtk-module
quota-tools
ark
dolphin
dolphin-plugins
filelight
gwenview
kamoso
kate
kcalc
kcron
kdeconnect
kdf
kdialog
keditbookmarks
kfind
khelpcenter
kio-extras
kio-fuse
kio-gdrive
kleopatra
kompare
konsole
krdc
krename
krfb
ksystemlog
kwalletmanager
okular
partitionmanager
spectacle
yakuake

...It looks like many of these packages (konsole, kate, dolphin, plasma-desktop for instance) would be installed during the initial installation.

Is there a way to see just the additional/new packages that would be installed?

The same step for gnome...

"Upgrade to ULTIMATE: Do you want to install additional GNOME components and applications?"
"Do you want to install additional GNOME components and applications?"
gpaste
eog-plugins
grilo-plugins
seahorse-nautilus
gtkhash-nautilus
gnome-logs
gnome-remote-desktop
gnome-sound-recorder
vino
rygel
shotwell
lollypop

...appears to only list the additional/new packages which will be installed.

edit: oops, looks like the conversation moved forward before i posted (took me forever to format it lol, i'm new to discourse).

2 Likes

I think gnome-web should be added.

If you point me to a list of the packages that are installed by default during installation, I would be happy to manually cross-reference and put together a list of only the differences. I imagine there is a smarter more automated way to accomplish this but I am a luddite... :wink:

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Live ISO not updating properly

After almost 2 hours and a few failures, I managed to get Flightgear up and running on Garuda KDE.

1 Like

I was wondering how to get my hands on riseup email, and thanks to this guy I now know that riseup-vpn exists. It's one of the first FOSS VPN's, so we should definitely add this and recommend it in case someone needs a VPN.

2 Likes

Extra sausages (German idiom) have to be cooked by yourself.
You can get Riseup-VPN via the Snap-Store. Garuda supports that.

Nope :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don't use anything other than Appimages and paru (pacman+AUR)

2 Likes

Ok, then I kind of cheated my way through. :innocent:

2 Likes

I use one more on top.

1 Like

You can use whatever you want but flatpack and snapcraft are not supported by Garuda. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You should know that I am adventurous and do not shy away from risks. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As long as the Benz rests in the garage.

1 Like

That is sensible.

1 Like

I apologize for the chat approach. That should not be.

1 Like
My 2c (i'm a bit protective of riseup):

Riseup is a small donation dependent not-for-profit collective with limited resources. I have a lot of respect and gratitude for what they do. But recommending or promoting their services to a broader audience may harm them. It may place an unsustainable burden on them financially or negatively effect the quality of service if too many new users were to join without understanding that the services they use require resources and are dependent on voluntary donations (they charge $0 and estimate running the VPN costs $60 per user per year). I would at the very least check with them, before promoting them in any public way.

An alternative to look into (with a less delicate business/funding model) is AirVPN. They have supported linux for many years (they have their own linux client and support network-manager intergration). They support a range of open source and internet freedom projects (including several linux distros, Tor, OpenBSD, OpenNIC, The EFF, and Riseup.net). They primarily rely on the OpenVPN protocol and are considering adding support for Wireguard (both of which are open source). They have a fairly active forum, and compared to other VPN's I've used they seem to actually devote some time and effort to linux users (in part because they began as an activist focused organization serving more serious users more likely to be using privacy focused linux distributions (like Tails).

Probably its better not to promote any of these services in any official way, but if one were to be promoted, I think promoting one which would benefit/could handle the promotion would be better than promoting a service which might be harmed by it (at least not without getting their consent first)

3 Likes

Now I understand why it took you so long to send.
Well researched!

3 Likes
  1. riseup-vpn (a great easy to use VPN)

2. flightGear (A wonderful open-source promising Flight simulator, which growing day-by-day, and might one day be at par with Microsoft Flight Sim -a must-try project.
               By the way, it is increasing in popularity day by day)

3. flightGear-data (Important Dependency of the above)

4. flightGear-git

5. flightGear-data-git

6. simgear (Important Dependency of the above)

7. simgear-git

8. plib (Important Dependency of the above)
  1. Riseup-vpn do not officially support Arch Linux.
  2. To 8. They also do not officially support Arch Linux.

Our servers are not there to support the games/ software you like, unless they are really necessary.

2 Likes

But every distro I have used (except arch-based) has Flightgear, it's not that I only like it, I am telling you it's getting popular day-by-day. It's just a fantastic project, and I think Garuda should include it in their repositories.

At least you can include riseup-vpn, anyone who wants to use a VPN, it's a great choice and you can with a click of a mouse. I use this VPN from the AUR it works flawlessly, but it just takes some time to install.

The same is with Flightgear, it is in the AUR, works out-of-the-box, but takes some time to install. If you doubt Flightgear please do check it out yourself.

It is a humble request, and it would benefit the community. Trust me it would be worth it.

Thanking you

Regards