Dual Monitor issue after upgrade on Alienware 17 R3

First , I would like to say that I love the idea and principals behind Garuda Linux. I like the idea of using btrfs as the default. I really like having another gaming centric OS other than POP!_OS. Nothing against POP!_OS, I just want to see more that have a good gaming focus. There is a lot I like about Garuda. There is more I could say but I'll leave that for another topic.

My problem is that when I install the KDE ultimate edition 201205, my dual monitors work fine. I have a Alienware 17 R13 with the external graphic amp that has a GTX 1070. My second monitor is plugged into the 1070.

I did a full install yesterday. After I do a full upgrade with pacman -Syu my second monitor stops working after I reboot. I noticed during the upgrade I got an error.

Failed to write file "/sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy": Operation not permitted
error: command failed to execute correctly

Not sure if that has anything to do with it. So I tried to use the settings manager to auto install the video card drivers and I got this error.

Starting
> Using config 'video-optimus-manager' for device: 0000:02:00.0 (0300:10de:1b81) Display controller nVidia Corporation GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070]
> Using config 'video-optimus-manager' for device: 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:191b) Display controller Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530
Error: config 'video-optimus-manager' conflicts with config(s): video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-dkms-prime-render-offloading

Done ...

Alas I am at a loss of what to do next. I think it has something to do with the driver but not sure. This is my first laptop so I have never had to deal with the optimus stuff. I installed the optimus-manager and set optimus-manager --switch nvidia which worked until I rebooted then it went back to the single screen.

Thanks for any help you can give.

It seems you have already this installed, which cannot co-exist with 'video-optimus-manager' setup.

If you want to install the new one, you have to uninstall the current one first.

As for the dual-monitor issue, it may or not have any better effect with the new driver.
If your running kernel version is 5.10 (or not), try first to boot to another kernel, to see if it is fixed.
Report any new finding. Then we might try troubleshoot further.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I did try to remove the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-dkms-prime-render-offloading but I ended up making an unbootable mess somehow. I don't have access to that machine until the weekend. I will try again then.

first of all i don't have two videocards and can't prove it

but why don't go back to old configs you wrote before it was quite right

only google something and read about it don't know if its right or useful

first on ubuntu is seems to function but that is only a config prob
only intel must show 2 monitors without prob

if you want to use nvidia second graphic you must config on your own

maybe this links will help
if it is not allowed to link other sites pls delete my post

Thanks for all the help. I wasn't able to use my PC because of the holidays, but when I cam back there was a new version of Garuda (210102).

I installed it and have had no issues so far.