Do I need swap when having 16 gb ram? How often is garuda meant to be updated?

the mini pc I want to buy tommorow has 16 gb ram , if I install garuda dragon should I put swap too ?

Also… how many times per week should I update this linux distro ? is ONCE 2 weeks like enought ?

Calamares, the installation app do all things automatically for you.

Yes

Here is one of my statistics :wink:

Garuda (2.6.22-1):
  System install date:     2023-03-07
  Last full system update: 2024-01-21 ↻
  Is partially upgraded:   No
  Relevant software:       snapper NetworkManager dracut
  Windows dual boot:       Yes
  Failed units:   
  Total system updates:    664
  --> Updates per week:    14

:rofl:

5 Likes

ok, thanks a lot , how well do you think garuda dragon with i3-7300T would run ?

also how much did you used garuda the longest time ?

and did you reinstall in 2023 or what happent then ?

4 Years,

That notebook I use for testing my work :slight_smile:

lsblk -f
NAME        FSTYPE FSVER LABEL        UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
zram0                                                                                     [SWAP]
nvme0n1                                                                                   
├─nvme0n1p1 vfat   FAT32 SYSTEM_DRV   94BA-ECE1                             224,4M    12% /boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2                                                                               
├─nvme0n1p3 ntfs         Windows-SSD  A2A8BB95A8BB6707                                    
├─nvme0n1p4 ntfs         WINRE_DRV    B8F6BC25F6BBE234                                    
├─nvme0n1p5 btrfs        KDE          fc62cc44-07ab-497b-ac89-15704c290993                
├─nvme0n1p6 btrfs        Hyprland     4c17a9ec-6a7a-4114-8443-65c4d6e1d121                
├─nvme0n1p7 btrfs        i3wm         21e02e96-0ed6-4629-9a39-85ffee7a4359  207,9G    24% /var/tmp
│                                                                                         /var/cache
│                                                                                         /var/log
│                                                                                         /srv
│                                                                                         /root
│                                                                                         /home
│                                                                                         /
└─nvme0n1p8 btrfs        Hyprland-SGS b147dd48-f302-484d-80b0-661e7ff40a76       

IDK this CPU.

3 Likes

what would happen if i were to install in kde dragon version the gnome store ? also which was the way to search software/stuff in cli garuda (like ubuntu has sudo apt list…)?

There is no need :smiley:

pacseek or just pacman.

Help for apt to pacman
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Rosetta

2 Likes

thank you for helping me!

What do you mean by no need?

i come from using ubuntu and linux mint… even on manjaro I remeber using a gui to the package manager

You ask for CLI, as GUI to search for apps use octopi, but for updates and install use the terminal.

Start reading and searching here in the forum :slight_smile: and the garuda wiki.

Make sure you have done the following before you post:

Issue still unresolved? Then:

• ONE issue per topic.
2 Likes

It has been said many times on the Garuda forum in the past:

Do not use GUI programs to perform system updates!

Most GUI software managers are not competent enough to deal with very large or problematic updates. The Garuda team usually becomes aware very quickly when a serious update problem occurs. A hotfix is usually rolled out shortly after an update issue arises. The only way you will have the proper fix applied is if you use garuda-update or other specialized Garuda commands to correct these issues from the terminal.

By using a GUI software center to perform system updates you will inevitably run into far more problems than if you use the terminal method tailored specifically by the Garuda team for Garuda.

3 Likes

Ok, but using pacman -Syu is enough to update fixes ?

Also is installing software okay if I were to use the kde store ?

Nope :arrow_down:

No.

Seems you did not read the answers.

This topic is solved, so I just close it.

6 Likes

Tsk, tsk.

2 Likes