Deleted All Snapshots, Cannot Boot or Use Grub

Soooo I am completely aware I did something very dumb by accident: I deleted everything in the timeshift directory :cry: I can't boot the OS or use the console from grub, it just doesn't load. Is it possible for me to recover, or will I have to start fresh? It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it's just not ideal.

Try booting into live medium and reinstalling grub.

5 Likes

It doesn't seem to be working, but I don't mind reinstalling honestly :slight_smile:

Also install:

timeshift
timeshift-autosnap
grub-btrfs

5 Likes

Once it's broken from removing all the snapshots it's broken. I like from time to time removing all snapshots, creating a fresh one. I ran into the above issue under AcroLinux. Not sure where the issue lies but I do know it's no a OS specific issue.

1 Like

I have removed all my snapshots at once three or four times recently @MediaMogul. I have not suffered any breakages from this. However, I make sure I perform a btrfs balance as soon as I remove the snapshots. I have not experienced any problems from deleting all the timeshift snapshots at once.

If others have found this occurred please pipe in.

2 Likes

But they deleted everything in the timeshift directory not just the snapshots, that is most likely why.

1 Like

Yes, the OP did that (which is obviously not the correct method). I was simply curious if @MediaMogul had removed the snapshots in the correct manner through timeshift and had problems. This has drifted a little off topic as it is likely a different scenario from the OP's situation.

1 Like

Strike while the iron’s hot - it’s a good Q. (interested meself)

1 Like

Don't be so hard on yourself, I think I was wrong once! :rofl:

No through the iron in the lava the turn the iron on.

*Throw (stupid autocorrect.)

No the only thing I did was launch Timeshift and remove the snapshots from there, and then create a fresh snapshot. Now both times were on AcroLinux which to be honest I'm about to drop like a hot potato.