Dark Background and no buttons

Hello,
Yesterday when I shut down the notebook everything was OK. Today I start the computer, Grub comes up, Garuda starts the login screen with the tile background appears, password entered and then a black background appears, where yesterday there was a colourful picture, today without my programmes on the desktop, then the welcome screen, as well as the bottom bar.
When I start Firefox, for example, there are no more buttons at the top right to reduce/enlarge/close.
Firefox also only appears in half size and it is not possible to enlarge it manually.
It's the same with other programmes - I don't know what's going on all of a sudden.
Maybe someone has an idea?
Regards
Rallebiker

Please always include your garuda-inxi.
I remember it was provided in a topic yesterday (:wink: ), but we need to check your current status.
That being said, I think you should recheck what you did yesterday, in terms of installation/upgrade/removal.
I normally check the pacman log with something like this:

cat /var/log/pacman.log | grep '2022-11-16' | egrep 'installed|upgraded|removed'

PS: I hope something did not go wrong using the installation tools we discussed in the past days (pamac, octopi, etc.). pacman from terminal and garuda-update to update are the most reliable approach.
You could consider restoring the latest working snapshot (e.g. the one before the installations yesterday), but that would act only on the packages, not on your configurations in you /home diectory.

2 Likes

Sorry impossible to give you the information what you asked for.
I'm typing from my sons Notebook with Endeavouros Linux.
On my Garuda I can't type any word not in terminal, not in in Firefox...
So what can I do?
New installation?

You could e.g. login using your live usb, chroot into the broken system and start troubleshooting as described above.
Or try restoring the latest working snapshots, as said.

4 Likes

chroot ? I don’t know what it is and how it works.
Ok before I start to reinstall I could try to restore the latest working snapshot as you said.
How can I do this?
Please step by step if possible.

4 Likes

Did ypu check for free disk space?

@filo
Restoring snapshot didn't work.
Always the same bad situation.
Just write from a completely new installation - last chance for Garuda.

@mrvictory
About 250 GB free space.

Hello,
new Installation of Garuda and it's running now.
I didn't install Pamac again, only Octopi for searching packages.
System upgrade/update only with Garuda Assistant in Welcomescreen.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.