CSR - Cambridge Silicon Radio - Bluetooth problems

Different kernels in use?

This adapter model is rife with cheap Chinese imposters that have very poor Linux compatibility.

It’s very possible that other distros have integrated kernel patches that are already known to detect and fix these fake adapters compatibility issues. Garuda does not highly customize the kernels we are using. This requires a lot of time and resources which a small project is short on, but it is also preferred that we keep the distro compatible with the kernels as they come directly from upstream.

In some cases this means you may have to patch the kernel yourself if you have hardware with poor Linux compatibility. Sometimes in life you simply get what you pay for. The genuine CSR bluetooth dongles were originally Atheros based adapters with good built in kernel support. The cheap knock off model you purchased likely does not have proper kernel support. I believe most of these cheap fake CSR adapters will have built into the kernel support at some point soon.

This is really not a Garuda issue, this is simply an age old Linux issue in that you must do your research before making hardware purchases if you want good Linux compatibility. Sometimes you have to not only do your do your research, but you also have to pay a premium to have good Linux compatibility. This is nothing new when it comes to networking components, this is a long known Linux axium. Networking purchases especially require thorough research if you wish to have proper compatibility (or at least less problems).

In this respect bluetooth technology itself is a poor choice in my opinion. While bluetooth devices may be all the rage these days the technology is far from perfected in Linux yet. Bluetooth suffers regular breakages from kernel updates. Again this is not Garuda’s fault and is entirely out of the distro’s control.

My own personal advice would be to steer clear of bluetooth technology for any wireless purchase if possible. I do no buy wireless keyboards or mice utilizing blutooth technology and for that reasonI have no issues with my wireless devices connecting properly. Bluetooth is also a huge security risk as it has been found to have many vulnerabilities. Bluetooth is the first thing I blacklist on any Linux install, do yourself a favor and avoid the technology like the plague if you do not want constant issues in Linux.

See also:

This is a recurring issue I’ve seen on other distributions, this is not a Garuda issue.

3 Likes