Im currently working to get a list of FAQs for new users to read
What are the first steps after installing Garuda Linux?
- Setting initial mirrorlist
Open up “Reflector Simple” and make your choices. After testing the servers you will get a fresh mirrorlist.
- Updating the system
Its a simple as opening the terminal and typing “sudo pacman -Syu”. You will also find a shortcut to a GUI tool called Pamac in the startmenu which serves the same purpose.
- Setting the terminal shortcut for updating mirrorlist and system at the same time
Open the file ~/.zshrc (you can do this via GUI or opening the terminal and typing “micro .zshrc”) and find an alias called “#upd=…”. Remove the “#” and change the options to fit your location and preferences. Now close the editor and type zsh to apply the change.
- Downloading language packs
Some applications got language packs which are separated from the main application (Firefox, Libreoffice, etc…). Usually you are required to download them manually however Garuda Linux is shipping the Garuda settings manager for that purpose. You will find a language pack option where you can select which language packs you want to download.
- Setting the terminal theme
Garuda Linux is shipping with the Powerlevel10k zsh theme which makes working with the terminal easier. To set it up simply launch the terminal and answer the question of the setup wizard. Make sure to press yes until the actual theme choices pop up (the needed patched font is already included).
Why does logging in not work?
- The newest packages pam and pambase seem to be buggy still. This can be fixed by downgrading both packages to previous versions.
Open the terminal and type the following:
sudo pacman -S downgrade
sudo downgrade pam (select 1.3.1-2)
sudo downgrade pambase (selecting 20190105.1-2)
- Add the packages to /etc/pacman.conf (IgnorePkg = pam pambase), this can be done easily by pressing yes while downgrading
- Also you can try removing the guest account
sudo pacman -R systemd-guest-account
Booting the ISO takes ages and wont finish! (I Have NVIDIA Hardware)
- Select the driver = free option in the bootloaders menu for now. There are some kernel issues which need to be fixed by the developers.
The NetworkManager doesnt start automatically after booting even though its enabled by “sudo systemctl enable --now NetworkManager”?
- Try editing /etc/nsswitch.conf:
sudo micro /etc/nsswitch.conf
Remove “systemd” from the lines containing passwd and group
- Reboot and have NetworkManager working as expected
A system upgrade broke everything! Panic!
- No worries.
Reboot into the bootloader (GRUB) and select “timeshift snapshots”.
Now boot the last working snapshot by selecting it and pressing enter twice.
- Once booted open up Timeshift and restore the last working snapshot.
- Reboot and you are done.
Newly installed applications dont show up in the Wayfire edition!
- Open the terminal and type killall “wf-panel && wf-panel &” to make them show up without having to restart the pack
How do I change the background in the Wayfire edition?
- To change the wallpaper we have to edit ~/.config/wf-shell.ini
Find the line “image” in the [background] block and change the path to match your wallpaper
I have a high resolution monitor and things dont look pretty, what do I do?
- We have made things easy and added a toggle for HiDPI mode in the Garuda welcome app. Find it in the settings tab!#
How do I take screenshots easily?
- Most editions ship Flameshot as screenshot utility.
Print = Screenshot all screenshots
Print + Shift = Select the area you want to screenshot via drag & drop
Print + Alt = Only screenshot the window under the cursor
Where do I get answers to questions not answered in this FAQ?
What else would you add to the list? Input please