Convert arch to garuda?

Is there a path for converting an Arch installation with Plasma desktop, on an ext 4 partition, to Garuda?

You could hammer a nail in with a sledge hammer and it will work. Will it be pleasant? Absolutely not.

6 Likes

Hi there, welcome to the community.

What exactly you want to do? I mean just get themes or complete distro features?

3 Likes

I am mainly hoping to get features such as performance optimization, and Timeshift snapshots, and Chaotic AUR, and I am guessing that Garuda has a mechanism to notify when there are updates. And there are probably other features that I am not aware of.

No.

Sure.

Easy, just install Garuda Linux.

7 Likes

I hope to turn my Fiat into a Ferrari by upgrading.
Nothing is easier than that. With the right mass cash in petty cash. :smiley: No problem.

4 Likes

garuda is highly customized so it would be non-trivial to convert to it after the fact.

That being said, it is possible.

The high level process would be:

• Add the chaotic-aur repo
  • Install all the relevant garuda packages
  • Fix whatever breaks in that process
  • Realize that you probably should have just re-installed if you wanted garuda

Couldn't you just add those things to your Arch install if you really don't want to re-install?

7 Likes

Hmm. Usually it's people wanting to convert the latest Arch-based distro to Arch so they can brag they are Archers. But if you are just looking for a convenient way to convert your existing Arch installation, there is no such convenient way Unless possibly, maybe you might be able to do so IF you are running an existing BTRFS file system. And if so, that might be the only convenience.

Even then I hold with @dalto's opinion. It would be very time consuming and there are a lot of bits and pieces with custom settings and tweaks. I believe the most likely outcome would be an unbootable, unrestorable system. Then you've lost everything. Who knows what may happen to any data, so I wouldn't try that with any data resident.

And we wont give you ANY official support for your bastardized system, any help requests you posted would be dustbinned so you had better be really good at this now and forever after with that redheaded stepchild.

It's just not worth doing.

But if you do, please report your results back here. I'd like to add them to my horror show collection of "Things Not To Do With Your System." Please.

best regards

EDIT: I should add that if you want to use the Chaotic-AUR for its pre-built packages, the instructions are in our Wiki. They are used by other distributions, too (Arco) and deemed as safe as AUR packages get. I use 'em in straight Arch (kinda like straight whiskey) and have had no problems.

5 Likes

Thanks guys, I will take your advice and not waste my time on such an iffy undertaking.

1 Like

You won't regret your decision. But I'll tell you one thing. It might be worth destroying a working Arch system and install Garuda in Arch's place. What the developers have done with Garuda, to my way of thinking, demonstrates what Arch can be capable of doing on desktops. It's like a fine Italian sportscar. Maintain her right and you receive a lot of performance. And that's what Garuda can be for some people.

I'm in Arch right now. Have run Garuda before, too. I may just break down and install Barebones Garuda KDE again, my favorite of the Garuda spins.

I'm in Arch right now and you know what that feeling of freedom is like, but you won't find a stronger advocate for the Arch-based distribution Garuda than I.

5 Likes

Asking for opinions:
I am not a gamer and I don't even have a discrete graphics card.
My CPU is i7, 9th gen, not overclocked or anything. It's a custom-built desktop machine.
I run Windows 10 in VirtualBox (inside the VM I run light apps such as Microsoft Word), and I sometimes convert videos in Handbrake.
Those are the only heavy programs running on my system.

Am I really going to feel performance gain on Garuda, as opposed to Arch?

Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME B365M-A v: Rev X.0x 
  serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1203 
  date: 10/10/2019 
CPU:
  Info: 8-Core model: Intel Core i7-9700 bits: 64 type: MCP cache: 
  L2: 12 MiB 
  Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/4700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 
  2: 800 3: 800 4: 800 5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] driver: i915 
  v: kernel 
  Device-2: IMC Networks XHC Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: intel 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo> 
  Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing. 

Info:
  Processes: 274 Uptime: 1h 6m Memory: 15.49 GiB 
  used: 6.78 GiB (43.8%) Shell: fish inxi: 3.3.05 

If its only about performance for you, just install the Linux-zen kernel and some of the applications of Garuda from Chaotic-AUR after adding it like performance tweaks.

2 Likes

Which apps of this type would you recommend? Or is there a way I could search for Garuda apps?

Either change to Garuda or read how what works, it's quite unfair to want to enjoy all the benefits of Garuda including mouth feeding that not even Garuda users experience.

4 Likes