[Solved] After Garuda first & new install - update & setup problems

Hello Garuda team,

i installed garuda-kde-ultimate-201119-linux-zen on my laptop.
After changing region & language I wanted to update the system.
I added flathub & snap with the Garuda option manager.
Maybe AUR, too - or it was still active - I don't know anymore.

By using the graphical tool "discover v5.19.3" I get everytime an error e.g.:
[update issue] "solving depencies failed for pulseaudio=14.0-1".

I tried: "sudo pacman -Syu" in console, but I get some question to update with the AUR version.
I couldn't deactivate AUR source by mouse-click. I don't know how to do in console or other way.
I'm new in arch.

Today I read about wayland session could be the reason for some problems & started in X11 or whatever (without wayland) after restart.

Problem is still there. Could you help me, please?
Best regards, TM

I found this:

Garuda and it’s snapshot features are only going to work if you install using btrfs.

It’s not that you can’t install using ext4, but the Devs have made it clear that if you choose to do this you’re on your own. Garuda is designed for all editions to be installed on the btrfs file system.

Other install methods are neither supported, nor recommended. If you wish to set up your system in this manner please solicit advice elsewhere than our forum.

All our editions use btrfs and a custom version of grub to enable recovering from a system breakage by simply rolling back to an earlier state via timeshift at the grub boot menu.

If I would know that at the time of installing Garuda, I didn’t made the mistake to use EXT4 format for system partition.

I’m not an very advanced linux user nor an absolut beginner, that’s why I search for BTRFS and decided to use the known EXT4, because I don’t need RAID or something like that.

So if you like to get more new users and less support traffic, please provide the information about the benefits of BTRFS before install begins. I don’t want to read for problems in a forum before I install a new linux distribution. A beginner wouldn’t do that, too. But a beginner may change the distribution or perhaps ask here in the forum for some help.

I’m seeing this info about BTRFS right now on the screen while the system is being installed.
But that is after I choose (manually) my partition. Now I choosed BTRFS.

And why I doing this step?
I wanna have both OS on my laptop: Windows and Garuda Linux!

P.S.
When Garuda’s starting in KDE, then some windows like “Garuda Welcome” setup assistant are at wrong position, just a little bit too high. They are hidden under the “Latte” system tray.

I got the same error with now BTRFS "solving depencies failed for pulseaudio=14.0-1" again.
My keyboard has wrong region layout. I couldn't change anything in Garuda.

What is the problem?
I like to use Garuda. Please give me some hints for solving the problems.

If you always do everything without reading the manual, you’re already prepared to break something.
If beginners, as you write, do not read anything, it does not help if we write it there or there.
We have pointed out once that this must be enough. :smiley:

Did you use the forum search?

The solution can also be found in the forum, why do you think someone here tells you the same thing again?

With different problems you open several topics.

4 Likes

I’ve looked into the FAQ.
Then I started new install with BRTFS as default.

By the forum search I found this:

but this didn’t helped.

pipewire-support and pulseaudio-support stay in conflict.

Why is that so?
I didn’t changed anything but partiton and region language.
Why do I get so much problems at the beginning?

Where can I find the manual?

15 results for pipewire

Sort by
Pipewire-pulse and pulseaudio are in conflict
Issues & Assistance
Newbies
3d - ...o to replace pulseaudio, so I removed garuda-pulse and after the update all I needed to do was adding "-e bluez5" to the end of the exec line at /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf to enable bluetooth audio and then "systemctl restart --user pipewire.service pipewire-pulse.service" Rebooted the system and everythin...
Pipewire update warning
Issues & Assistance
2d - ...you slight_smile slight_smile Garuda-pulse problem /c/issues-assistance/15 Need help with something? Issues & Assistance sudo pacman -Rns garuda-pipewire pipewire-alsa pipewire-pulse then sudo pacman -Syu

3 Likes

Thanx, now it seems to be working. System is updating.

I wish you a merry 2nd Advent.

:innocent:

3 Likes

Just thought I’d comment on this. I love KDE, but I have no delusions about which KDE software gets top marks. Discover is barely adequate as a single package installer. I would never ever use Discover for performing system upgrades.

Using Discover to perform system upgrades is really looking for problems. It is in no way anywhere near on par with Pacman for reliability. You will likely experience many install failures using Discover.

If you insist on using a GUI installer to perform upgrades then use pamac or octopi. The most reliable method to upgrade your system is by using pacman.

Discover is fine as an app store for browsing for apps you might want to install, but it’s no pacman. Use Discover at your own peril. Just a word to the wise who are unfamiliar with the installer options available for Arch based distro’s.

5 Likes

Thanks for making this clear (for me and everyone else)! :+1:

I love to do it in console. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
In the future maybe I'll explore pamac or octopi.

It's not, that I prefer Discover, but it brings itself in front by ringing & showing how many updates are availlable. Maybe the developer or another smart person/programmer would change that behavior.

So I'll furthermore use Discover for discovering applications, but (de)installing & updating them by mighty pacman. :wink:

Best regards, TM

1 Like

You need to try Pamac. I have used it for at least 10 years. It will notify you when updates are available. It also displays each line of the script that does the downloading.

1 Like

Yeah thanx. Pamac seems to be like apt on Ubuntu.
Now I have to learn the commands of Pamac.

You mean commands of pacman :wink:

Link copy and paste from @ jonathon :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow, nice to see the paket manager commands of all distibution roots.

I begin with Pacman/Pamac in my german language. :wink:

Alles im arch wiki :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also:

pacman -S --help
pacman -R --help
2 Likes